3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2018 12:37 AM by CHiege

Best Practice - Relationship or Validated Field

CHiege Rookie

I've a question regarding best practice. We'd like to be able to assign Problems to an organizational unit and IMHO this could be done in two ways.

1. Creating a validated field populated by the organizational unit picklist.

2. Creating a link field and a relationship to organizational unit (one to many seen from org unit)

Both ways work fine, I already tested it but the question is, which one would be the preferable way and why?

Kind Regards

• 1. Re: Best Practice - Relationship or Validated Field
          TKeen Apprentice

Hi Christopher,

I would recommend using a Relationship. By using a relationship you have availability to add additional features in the the future for example:

* Adding a child tab to the Orgunit form to show a list of all relating Problems. Similar as when you go into an employee profile and see the incidents associated to that employee.

CHild tab.png

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best Practice - Relationship or Validated Field
            AlasdairRobertson ITSMMVPGroup

Why do both then you can offer a validated dropdown or org units...possibly easier than a link field if you don't have to look up many items.

Create a validation field for the org unit list as normal lets call the field Problem_OrgUnit Unicode Text(100).  Then create a relationship to the org unit an on the problem object select your new Problem_OrgUnit_Valid field to RecId of Orgunit.  It will set the name of the relationship field to Problem_OrgUnit but will use the valid field which you can see in the relationship list (image below)

Now you can use the power of a relationship with a drop down field for the end user.  Another example of this is the Owner field on the CI record its a drop down and a relationship:

Reasons for using both, user experience but only use where you need to gain access to the related data.  This is a useful technique to learn as the data is already populated in the drop down you can create retrospective relationship links if needed.

• 3. Re: Best Practice - Relationship or Validated Field
              CHiege Rookie

I never thought about linking the RecID with the _valid field when creating a relationship thus combinig validated field an relationship. Nice hint, thx .

To be future proof it will probably be better when creating a relationship unless it's certain you won't need any data of the related object.

Thank you for your answers.

Best Regards