6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2018 12:11 PM by yashikor

Replace rule

yashikor Apprentice

Can I replace a rule without rolling back what is already in our production environment? For example, create a rule in "test" and over write the current version. If I roll back rules, I may impact applications that are working properly.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Replace rule
          Fordo Apprentice

If you just need to test on one machine then it's probably easiest to install the Application Manager/Control console on that machine, launch it elevated, open the live config and make changes on the fly. If installing the console isn't viable then you could manually deploy a config to a test machine (or a test user's machine) by either a) saving the test config as an MSI and manually installing it (having first stopped and/or disabled the Client Communications Agent on the target machine), or just remotely delete configuration.aamp, replace it with the test one and restart AM.

If you want to test on a few machines then create a Test deployment group, configured identically to your production group, open your prod config read-only, save it as a new config, assign it to the test group, make the relevant changes to it and move some machines into the test group.

• 2. Re: Replace rule
            yashikor Apprentice

"If you just need to test on one machine then it's probably easiest to install the Application Manager/Control console on that machine, launch it elevated, open the live config and make changes on the fly.

I do want to test on one machine. I could install Application Manager on the machine.

"you could manually deploy a config to a test machine (or a test user's machine) by either a) saving the test config as an MSI and manually installing it (having first stopped and/or disabled the Client Communications Agent on the target machine), or just remotely delete configuration.aamp, replace it with the test one and restart AM."

Lost me there. The way I learned is to create the rule in our "test": environment and poll the machine so that it picks up the latest build. I guess my question there is that if the machine has a production build on it....will POLLING the machine over-write?

• 3. Re: Replace rule
              james.ley2 Employee

It depends how your deployment groups are configured.

If you have a production group with AM-production deployed, and want to test configuration AM-Test you need to move a test endpoint to a test deployment group then deploy AM-Test. Or as Greg says install an AM console on a test endpoint and test locally using Save as local configuration.

• 4. Re: Replace rule
                timothyb SupportEmployee

Yashikor, please could you go through some of your forum questions and mark any answers you're happy with.  This helps close off the question and provides the people who've helped with points.  The highest contributors can attain a Community MVP status, which if I remember correctly can have some additional perks.  So if you can Like and Mark as Correct posts, it helps with people working towards these stats.

Back to the original question... James' approach is commonly used and quick and easy to setup and would probably be my preferred solution, although installing the Console directly on and endpoint is also valid.

• Setup a new Deployment Group
                • Ensure all of the packages from the original Deployment Group exist in the new deployment group.  This will prevent any changes to the test machine when it's moved from the production deployment group.
                • Probably worth making sure that settings also match, e.g. Configuration Deployment Format
                • Because it's a test deployment group, consider changing these settings to:
                  • Check for and download new Agents and Configurations: 1 minute
                  • Event upload: 1 minute
                  • Restart and Install Agents: Automatically restart system and install - at next client poll
                  • Configuration Install behaviour: Automatically install - at next client poll
                • Assign your new test config and set to deploy latest version.

You can now move the test machine into this deployment group, it shouldn't require a reboot and will pick up new configuration changes with a 1 minute window (+/- 20% time variation).

If you are making changes to your production config during this period, it's probably worth ensuring that your production deployment groups don't have "Deploy latest" config set.  Otherwise they will also pickup your changes.

• 5. Re: Replace rule
                  Landon Winburn ITSMMVPGroup

I could be wrong but from what I have gathered by the questions is the "test" environment is a whole other management server which is making the move from test to production more complex as configs need to be copied and machines need to be reassociated.

There was a previous question on how to move a machine. The install deployment agent option is the one you want, not the poll now. Also poll now will not update the config it just tells the machine to "poll now".

When a poll occurs the deployment agent compares what MSIs are installed on the machine with what is in the database. Every MSI you have installed on your machine has a guid and it looks for these to compare. If a guid matches a config or agent then the cca thinks it's installed. long story short, if you move a machine from test to production you will orphan the installer entry in add and remove programs. Chances are you'll see two configs installed however the last one installed will win.

At this point I would suggest simplifying your configuration and tossing the test environment and going with a test deployment group like previously mentioned. And don't take this the wrong way but it seems as if you inherited this environment from someone and received no training. I would also suggest looking into a training cousre.

• 6. Re: Replace rule
                    yashikor Apprentice

Landon "Test" and "Production" are the same management server. However, yes its a tad complex as rules need to be moved and machines need to be moved also.

Not taking your statement the wrong way because its accurate.