1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 28, 2018 8:52 PM by james.ley2

Can a SQL Server DBA be restricted from viewing the information in the database?

Rookie

Because of some data privacy regulations, my company may need to have a Sql Server DBA work with things like mirroring, index rebuilds, log shipping, clustering general system maintenance things like that while not having access to view the information in the database tables.

This sounds impossible to me, but is it at all possible to give someone access to do anything with a database except view the data included?

• 1. Re: Can a SQL Server DBA be restricted from viewing the information in the database?
          james.ley2 Employee

I dont think this would be possible, so many admin functions require access to the tables of the database.

if this is from a compliance perspective even if you controlled access with SQL mgmt Studio the DBA could still copy the actual db file restore it somewhere else and open it in a siloed copy of SQL mgmt Studio rendering the process null. From a compliance perspective it really comes down to ensuring only those who require access have access, maybe that's through separating SQL instances or alike, and making sure as users change roles their access is kept updated.

Sorry probably not the answer you were looking for, this may be worth a support call.