3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 2:57 PM by vicki.walline

Dynamic user data in email? (specifically, phone number)

jrundle@washingtonenergy.com Rookie

We are creating followup email templates for our sales people to send to our customers. I want to create one email, leave it in our public documents folder and then our many sales people can choose the public one and send it along to the customer.

At the end of the email, kind of like a signature, I am using <<&UserFullName>> to pull the Goldmine users' name dynamically - but I would also like to pull the user's phone number, too. Have any of you done this - or can you help me know what code I would use to pull in this data?

If this is not possible, I would have to create a bunch of templates / signatures for our users - which I am hoping I will not have to do.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Dynamic user data in email? (specifically, phone number)
          vicki.walline SupportEmployee

Hi Jonathan,

It is possible to assign may variables other than just Full Name to USERS and then put the variable name in the the email template to populate dynamically based on the logged in user.  The full sequence of steps is covered nicely in Knowledge Article 11380 available from our Self Service portal at https://support.heatsoftware.com/.  If you are current on maintenance, log in and take a look at that article.  It should answer most of your questions.

Thanks!

Vicki

• 2. Re: Dynamic user data in email? (specifically, phone number)
            jrundle@washingtonenergy.com Rookie

Thank you for this reply. I'm doing this research first, trying to educate myself fully as to what I'm asking before looping in IT, which would hold the login to that support portal. I do know that we are up to date, but I would like to read this knowledge base article first - and then talk to out IT department. Would you be willing to share this knowledge base article with me outside of logging into the support system? I'm in marketing and we're trying to get a grip on how we can best utilize Goldmine and this is step one. Thank you for your help either way.

Best,

Jonathan

• 3. Re: Dynamic user data in email? (specifically, phone number)
              vicki.walline SupportEmployee

Sure!  This is a rough copy/paste so it does not look as nice as the article and does not have screenshots but I think it will get you going in the right direction.

Issue and Resolution #11380

Summary:

How to add additional information in User Variables in addition to Title, Department, Phone and Fax?

Details:

How to add additional information in User Variables ( [USER_Var] section in the USER.INI or GM.INI ) in addition to Title, Department, Phone and Fax?

Users can add personal information in their user options / preferences via

1. Tools > Options

2. Tab Personal

3. Fill in Title, Department, Phone and Fax

This article explains how to setup additional information for a user or for a GoldMine system and what other information can be added, for example Twitter name, mobile number or Headquarter information.

Resolution:

The only required user information is the Username and the User Full name. These variables are stored in the USERS table of the GoldMine database. As in most cases this information is not sufficient. GoldMine provides additional options to add user-defined information

Additional information like Title, Phone, Dept and Fax can be set by the Users themselves via the GUI

1. Tools > Options

2. Personal Tab - Here you can add data to the Title, Phone, Dept and Fax fields

3. OK

Information such as Title, Phone, Dept and Fax can also be set by the a GoldMine Administrator for other users via the GUI

1. Tools > Users' Settings

2. Highlight specific user > Preferences

3. Personal Tab

4. OK > Close

Information such as Title, Phone, Dept and Fax and further desired information can be also set by Users themselves via the QuickStart Wizard

There is no known limitation how many 'fields' can be defined but the format needs always to be (Field)NAME and VALUE

1. Tools

2. QuickStart Wizard...

3. Click on the User Information Wizard (1st button)

4. Review the information > Next

5. If desired set the related fields Title, Department,  Phone and Fax > Next

6. If desired add further values like Mobile and / or Email via

a. New button

b. provide a (Field) NAME e.g. Email + provide a VALUE e.g. [email protected]

c. Add

d. if necessary highlight an added row and use Edit button for changing the value or Delete button for deleting the row

e. when all desired fields and values are added > Finish > Close

Information such as Title, Phone, Dept and Fax and further desired information can be also set by a GoldMine Administrator for other users via the QuickStart Wizard

There is no known limitation on how many 'fields' can be defined, but the format must always be (Field)NAME and VALUE

1. Tools > QuickStart Wizard...

2. Click on the User Information Wizard (1st button)

3. Review the information > Next

4. Select the user where the user variables should be added

5. If desired set the related fields Title, Department, Phone and Fax for the desired user > Next

7. Add further values like Mobile and / or Email as desired via

a. New button

b. Provide a (Field) NAME e.g. Email + provide a VALUE e.g. [email protected]

c. Add

d. If necessary highlight an added row and use Edit button for changing the value or Delete button for deleting the row

e. When all desired fields and values are added > Finish > repeat steps 5.-.7. for another user > when finished for all desired users > Close

These are the user variables and they are stored in the USER.INI (e.g. MASTER.INI) within the GoldMine (shared) application folder (Also available through elp > About GoldMine > System > folder entry in System Dir) and have the following format

[USER_VAR]

Title=CEO

Dept=Sales

Phone=+1-756-555-6666

FAX=+1-756-555-7777

Manually adding user specific information to the USER.INI

Entries can also be added manually to the section [USER_VAR] for the user(s). There is no known limitation on how many 'fields' can be defined but the format needs always to be Fieldname=value

1. Log out the user for whom the variables need to be changed.

2. Browse to the USER.INI folder on the GoldMine (shared) path e.g. MASTER.INI

3. Backup the file

4. Open the USER.INI via Notepad

5. Locate or add the section [USER_VAR]

6. Add your additional line(s), for example:

Mobile=+1-725-555-5561

[email protected]

Location=Denver

Mobile=+1-725-555-5561

7. The full section appears then e.g. as

8. Save the USER.INI

Manually adding global information to the GM.INI

Variables can also be used as 'global' variables for all users when added to the GM.INI into [USER_VAR] section. There is no known limitation of how many 'fields' that can be defined but the format needs always to be Fieldname=value

1. Log out of GoldMine

2. Browse to the GM.INI folder on the GoldMine (shared) path

3. Make a backup of this file

4. Open the GM.INI via Notepad

5. Locate or add the section [USER_VAR]

6. Add as an additional line e.g. HQPhone=+1-999-555-1546

7. If applicable add further lines which are 'global' variables for all GoldMine users e.g. Headquarter Address etc.and further variables like

HQAddress=Kelly Blvd, 1515

HQCity=Las Vegas

HQZIP=65481

HQState=Nevada

HQPhone=+1-999-555-1546

HQFax=+1-564-555-6412

The full section appears then as

8. Save the GM.INI

How to use personal or global values from [USER_Var] sections in E-mail templates?

1. Go To >> Document Templates

2. Select the user from the drop down list where the template shall appear e.g. (public)

3. Right Click in E-mail templates or the desired E-mail template folder >> New

4. Prepare your template as desired

5. For adding user variables place holders use the format <<&user_var.fieldname>>

e.g.

Best Regards

<<&userfullname>>

<<&user_var.title>>

Mobile: <<&user_var.mobile>>

Call our headquarter: <<&user_var.HQPhone>>

6. Save your template

The preview of the template will appear as

When using the template for either a single e-mail or a e-mail merge to several contacts the e-mail appears as

How to use personal values from [USER_Var] sections in Microsoft Word templates?

1. Make sure to log into GoldMine as a user who does have the desired user variables in the [USER_VAR] section of the USER.INI otherwise refer to How to use global values from [USER_Var] sections in Microsoft Word templates

2. Start Microsoft Word and prepare template as desired

3. Add user variables in Microsoft Word 2007 / Microsoft Word 2010 / Microsoft Word 2013

3.a. GoldMine menu to open the GoldMine toolbar in Microsoft Word

3.b. Refresh button for refreshing field list if necessary

3.c. From User Variables drop down list select the specific field e.g. &User_Var.Title (CEO) 

3.d. The template appears then in data view

3.e. The template appears then in field view (Mark all >> Right Click >>  Toggle Field Codes)

4. Save the template as usual for the further use in GoldMine for a single merge or mail merge

How to use global values from [USER_Var] sections in Microsoft Word templates?

Global user variables like HQPhone etc do not appear in the User Variables list from Microsoft Word and need to be added manually to a Microsoft Word template via the following steps

1. Add any available user variable from the user to the Microsoft Word template

2. Highlight at last the added field >> Right Click >>  Toggle Field Codes, so that there will be displayed something similar like {DDE GOLDMINE DATA &User_Var.TITLE \* CHARFORMAT}

3. Change the field name of the personal user variable to the desired global user variable > here e.g. HQPhone, so that it appears then as {DDE GOLDMINE DATA &User_Var.HQPhone \* CHARFORMAT}

4. Highlight the field with he new expression HQPhone >> >> Right Click >>  Update Field so that it appears now correct with the global user variable value

5. Save the template as usual for the further use in GoldMine for a single merge or mail merge

2 of 2 people found this helpful