5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 4:41 PM by DCastell

is it possible to share one or more contacts

HTang1 Rookie

hi,

is it possible for one account owner to share a contact in his/her territory with another account owner without having access to the entire territory?

thanks,

hue

• 1. Re: is it possible to share one or more contacts
          DCastell Expert

sure. 

Set the contact to be owned by a usergroup comprised of those two users.

Tools|User Groups...

• 2. Re: is it possible to share one or more contacts
            HTang1 Rookie

thanks doug. i did this already as an admin. but is there a way for a normal user to create a group and also assign him/herself and others to the group for access of a single contact? if not, all will be coming to me for this process.

• 3. Re: is it possible to share one or more contacts
              DCastell Expert

unless you give the users master rights, no.  Of course, doing so would negate the efficacy of the usergroups and permissions we're talking about here anyway. 

I understand the need for sales territories and, sometimes, for curtaining off records between sales people.  That being said, this kind of run-away security can be a headache to manage -- regardless of system. 

At some point in GoldMine 3 or 4 (mid-90's) a large company put in a request to the GoldMine development team to facilitate more than the then-current maximum number of user groups to facilitate their sales team curtaining.  They had MANY sales people and basically needed to create exponentially more usergroups to allow them to make every conceivable combination of sales people into groups so they could then set ownership on customers how they saw fit.  It was a big account and the owner of the company, at the time, was the head programmer.  He made the change and they bought the program. 

So, in short, it's possible to do it, but I'm not entirely on board with it being the BEST choice.  You may lose a lot of hair managing the process if you go down this road (depending on how many sales people/combinations you have.)

• 4. Re: is it possible to share one or more contacts
                HTang1 Rookie

thanks. that's what i was afraid of. i thought it would be logical for a user to create a group and by extension, owning that group and therefore be able to select other users as members of the group. but what am i thinking. it's goldmine.

is there another way that users can share a contact with one or more other user(s) that does not require admin access?

• 5. Re: is it possible to share one or more contacts
                  DCastell Expert

That would be kind of like allowing windows users to make/manage active directory user groups -- It would basically negate security.

Usergroups are the way to go, really.

Note that the GoldMine API does provide usergroup creation/management abilities.  Maybe a custom tool that's automatically triggered by some conditions in the database is in order here?