8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2016 3:13 PM by GZimme

Primary Email in Crystal report

GZimme Apprentice

How do I add the primary email address in a Crystal report?  I need to display contact1 and contact2 data but not sure how to get the Contsupp table email address.

I know I need to add both tables in crystal but not sure on the "code" to show the email address.  Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: Primary Email in Crystal report
          John Neighbors Expert

I tend to setup this SQL view using SQL Server Management Studio, and then LINK this view just like a table using Crystal Reports. It makes it a whole lot easier.

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

--- vw_Email_Address VIEW

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

if exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id = object_id(N'[dbo].[vw_Email_Address]') and OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsView') = 1)

drop view [dbo].[vw_Email_Address]

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

/*

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

-- Synopsis

Simplifies reporting of GM email addresses (E-mail Address details).

-- Change Log

2016-12-28 jsn    View creation.

*/

CREATE VIEW [vw_Email_Address]

AS

select ACCOUNTNO

, isnull(contsupref,'')+isnull(address1,'') as 'EMAIL'

, SUBSTRING(isnull(zip,''),2,1) as 'PRIMARY'

, LINKACCT

, ADDRESS2 as 'Name'

, isnull(MERGECODES,'') as 'MERGECODES'

from contsupp

where rectype = 'P' and u_contact = 'E-MAIL ADDRESS'

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

GRANT SELECT ON [dbo].[vw_Email_Address] TO [public]

GO

Hope this feedback helps.

• 2. Re: Primary Email in Crystal report
            GZimme Apprentice

Jim,

THANKS...  clarifying question:   Do I just copy this entire code into a sql query and run it?

And then the vw_Email_Address "Table/View" can be accessed via Crystal?!?!

This will be quite nice.

• 3. Re: Primary Email in Crystal report
              GZimme Apprentice

Jim,

THANKS.  I just ran the sql script and it created the view.  I will try the Crystal report later today.

• 4. Re: Primary Email in Crystal report
                John Neighbors Expert

Was out of pocket for a bit, but, as you've now seen, YES, that's what you do.  Good Luck! :-)

• 5. Re: Primary Email in Crystal report
                  John Neighbors Expert

By the way, recognize this includes ALL email addresses, both primary AND non-primary.  Therefore, any given CONTACT1 record could have MULTIPLE of these email address records reported by this view.

With the view created, simply run:

select * from vw_email_address

...and notice the Primary field.  If Primary = '1' then that email address is the one flagged as Primary; otherwise, it is NOT a primary email address.

Again, hope this helps.

• 6. Re: Primary Email in Crystal report
                    GZimme Apprentice

Helpful.. however, I get more records than I want.  I only want one contact record and if it has an email address then it will display.  What I'm getting is a record for each email address... so it appears like I have duplicate contacts in GoldMine.  And if there is no email address then I get no contact1 data on my report.   Here's my DB Expert in Crystal...  I guess I can't attach a pic here.... so here's the linking order in Crystal:

Contact1.accountno -->Contact2.accountno

Contact1.accountno-->vw_Email_Address.accountno

My end result is that I need any new contacts created(I use parameter field to look at createon) in GoldMine by date range.  I show a couple contact1 fields and one contact2 fields.  I need the primary email address to display if it's there.  This is not a report just for email addresses.  It's primarily a report for contact1/2 data and to show the email address if present.

THANKS for any additional help.

• 7. Re: Primary Email in Crystal report
                      John Neighbors Expert

Gary,

This is simply a matter of knowing how to "instruct" Crystal Reports to do precisely what you want.  Yes, the VIEW I shared shows all email addresses, as that allows maximum flexibility with reporting.  You simply need to use it however your needs dictate.  I'm short on time and it's been a while since I did this specific thing with Crystal, so I'm a bit rusty on the details.

Due to my own time constraint, let me offer this simple, slightly alternative approach:

1) First, make a slightly different version of the VIEW that ONLY returns PRIMARY email addresses.

Rather than "vw_Email_Address", you might name it something like "vw_Email_Address_Primary_Only".

For the details of the script I provided above, change the WHERE clause from this:

where rectype = 'P' and u_contact = 'E-MAIL ADDRESS'

To this:

where rectype = 'P' and u_contact = 'E-MAIL ADDRESS' and SUBSTRING(isnull(zip,''),2,1) = '1'

Then, change your Crystal Report to using the new vw_Email_Address_Primary_Only view rather than the original vw_Email_Address view.

2) THEN, when linking this NEW "primary only" view to the CONTACT1 table...

Since having a primary email address is OPTIONAL, you want the LINK between CONTACT1 and the VIEW to be a LEFT OUTER JOIN, such as this:

This tells Crystal that you want to include CONTACT1 no matter if there is an associated entry in the VIEW or not.

Hope this feedback helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Primary Email in Crystal report
                        GZimme Apprentice

John,

PERFECT... i actually understand all that AND I agree that this should do exactly what I need.

You're the best.  Greatly appreciated.