Just followed your Steps Paul, and it worked just fine from my Desktop save for the fact that the pointer to the GoldMine Logo in the upper right-hand corner was bad, hence an X was displayed instead of the Logo.
Thanks DJ, I appreciate it. The X is also displayed on all of mine, as it also is for Marie Apodaca when I opened the ticket. I guess that's been broken for years and points to an image that is long gone.
I'm going to get one of the people at this client to let me try it on their workstation, as my guess is that this is related to it being on a machine where IE is hogtied in some fashion, such as on a server. I'll update here when I learn anything else.
FYI, this is not fully resolved, but what I have discovered is that it appears to be more likely to be a problem on a server, and less likely to be a problem on workstations. My theory is that it's related to IE security settings.
I had a slightly different issue with a customer's GoldMine but thought this might be useful:
This issue appears to be caused by Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration.
What we would recommended would be to disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration for Administrators and then run GoldMine elevated (Run as Administrator option, when launching the product) or performing the Webimport configuration from a different workstation and not directly from the Application server.
If you've already tried this, please ignore my post.