3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 12:40 PM by John Neighbors

Is there any way to create an appointment email template?

DBart Rookie

I have created an email template for conference calls, but I am wondering if it is possible to create an appointment template. 

We have an internal Conference Bridge and it would be ideal if I can create a shared template that can be used for specific Appoint Type "Conf" instead of the default meeting notice.

Ideally the sender would enter their personal Bridge ID or if it could be stored in their profile somewhere and automatically entered that would be even better. I have not yet found where something like this could be stored to the user.

Something similar to:

Please follow the instructions to join the conference bridge at or just before our set time.

Meeting: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 11:30 a.m. (US Central)

Bridge ID/Access Code: 907            <--- this is the GM User's Bridge ID (they are assigned to each user)

Conference Bridge Instructions:

1. Dial our office's main phone number: +1 (555) 555-5555
        2. When prompted to enter an extension or from the greeting menu 
          Dial 907, the 3-digit Bridge ID
          --or--
          Dial 7 to hear the Conference Bridge Instructions
        3. When prompted to enter the access code dial the same 3 digit code.

You will be placed into the bridge and on hold until the organizer is connected.

• 1. Re: Is there any way to create an appointment email template?
          John Neighbors SSMMVPGroup

I'd suggest you simply use "user variables" in each user's <username>.ini file, to designate their Bridge ID.

If you are not familiar with user variables, then try this for a quick learning experience:

1. Within GoldMine, go to Tools | Options.
          2. Make sure that SOME data exist in any one or more of the 4 fields at the bottom of the Personal tab (e.g. Title, Phone, Department and/or FAX).
          3. Click OK to save any changes.
          4. Via File Explorer, navigate to your main GoldMine folder and locate the <username>.ini file for your GoldMine ID.
          5. Open the <username>.ini and search for: [user_var]
          6. Notice whichever of the 4 above noted fields contained data are represented in this section (e.g. Title=, Phone=, Department= and/or FAX=)?
          7. Know that those 4 fields are the only ones by name that you can edit via Tools | Options.  However, you can MANUALLY add whatever you want manually in this section of the <username>.ini file.
          8. Created an entry named BridgeID, for example (e.g. BridgeID=907).
          9. Save the <username>.ini.
          10. Now, you can reference user variables within email templates using this syntax (giving 3 examples, including the BridgeID)

<<&user_var.phone>>

<<&user_var.department>>

<<&user_var.BridgeID>>

That SHOULD meet your need quite nicely, IF I've understood the need clearly.

Hope this feedback helps. Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there any way to create an appointment email template?
            DBart Rookie

Thank you John!   That is what I need for the BridgeID and I can see numerous applications there and it worked great!

The other question is there anyway to create or edit an appointment notification template?

Even better would be if it were something in the "Call" element that can identify use the ConfCall template --    Perhaps like this screenshot.

-David

• 3. Re: Is there any way to create an appointment email template?
              John Neighbors SSMMVPGroup

"The other question and maybe even more important for me is there anyway to create or edit an appointment notification template?"

This is rather vague, general terminology.  That is, just what you mean by "appointment notification template" may be interpreted by different people to mean different things.

I'm going to offer feedback based on what I'm THINKING you are meaning here.

My presumption is that you will schedule a GoldMine pending activity for an "appointment" and then want to send an email to a contact in your GM database notifying them of this scheduled "appointment".

In this case, an "appointment notification template" is going to simply be an email template that uses MERGE FIELDS that refer to specific FIELDS within the PENDING ACTIVITY.

There are 3 keys to making this work:

1) You need to know what the "behind the scenes" field names are for each "field" in your pending activity that you wish to specifically make reference to in your email template.

2) You need to know the correct SYNTAX to use within your email template, and then make such reference using the correct merge field syntax, within your email template.

3) Any time a GoldMine users wishes to USE this email template, they need to FIRST go to the Pending tab on the given contact record and select (highlight) the pending activity in question.

For item 1) above, know that PENDING activities are stored in the CAL table (at the SQL level).  You can use GoldMine's online help and enter "CAL table" in the search field and then select the search result listed as "GoldMine Tables".  This should show you the field names within the CAL table.

For item 2 above, simply use this notation <<table.field>> within your email template.  For example, for the date of the pending activity, I would use <<cal.ondate>>.

Another simple example you might try in a template while learning is: Your appointment is on <<cal.ondate>> and the reference is <<cal.ref>>.

The set of << and >> simply notate specific MERGE FIELDS to be processed when using the email template.

Again, for these merge fields that reference the CAL table to work, GoldMine has to know WHAT SPECIFIC pending activity you are referring to.  You do this by going to the Pending tab tab on the given Contact and select (highlight) the pending activity in question.  While that pending activity is selected, start composing an email and SELECT the desired email template.  Ta-da!  The related merge fields SHOULD show the content from the selected pending activity.

So, once all of the above is in place, it then simply becomes a training issue for your GM users, to know and understand how to use such.

"Even better would be if it were something in the "Call" element that can identify use the ConfCall template"

My only thought here might be...put "Conference" in your GoldMine lookups for the Reference field ALONG WITH an inline comment (something in your lookup data behind a double slash //) that tells them to "use the ConfCall template".  Here is a screen snippet of an example:

Notice the text AFTER the double slashes (//) are NOT put into the field, but ARE there as a reference any time someone sees that in the lookups.  In my example, I simply typed "conf" and what you see popped up.  There is my "reminder" to use the ConfCall email template.  Once I truly SELECT the "Conference" option (which I have NOT done yet in the screenshot above), the Reference would then show:

...as needed.

So, those are my thoughts.  I may have missed the mark or misunderstood, but I hope this is at least helpful.

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

1 of 1 people found this helpful