In my free time, I've been working on re-learning GM and migrating data from ACT 2017.
Recommendations were welcomed to use a CSV file before converting it to DBF. A lot o records just didn't line up correctly in the spreadsheet, until I realized that if a field had an imbedded comma the data would be aligned under the wrong columns. For example, in one record I have a title of "Sales - GA, AL, FL, MS" These commas caused the data to be misaligned.
I tried tab delimited and the raw TXT file seems to have lined up correctly. I then save the file as Excel 97-2003 before running through an XLS to DBF program (Thanks DJ)
Just passing this along for situations when data just line up.