6 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2017 9:28 AM by AHeged

How should I curtain records that were created public?

AHeged Apprentice

Before I have started to secure my database by owner and group members there were created contact records that were public.

Is it possible to curtain now these public contact records to be visible just for contact owners?

• 1. Re: How should I curtain records that were created public?
          John Neighbors SSMMVPGroup

You bet.  You can:

1) Use a filter or group to identify the desired set of records to be updated.

2) Use GoldMine's Global Replace feature to CHANGE the Owner and/or Status fields, as needed.

NOTE:  Be VERY CAREFUL using the Global Replace feature.  The wrong move could be disastrous.

Some additional insight:

If the OWNER needs to be a GM user, then simply set the OWNER field to the GM USER ID (all caps).  However, if the OWNER needs to be a User Group (as it sounds like it does), then you'll need to determine the cryptic "code" to use for the OWNER field.

The easiest way to determine such is to set a record to the desired group MANUALLY (Edit | Record Properties | Record-related Settings | Ownership tab).  Then QUERY that record via the SQL Query tab and look at the OWNER field.

Here is a simple SQL query that will display all records that have SOME ownership defined:

select owner, * from contact1 where isnull(owner,'') <> ''

If the test record had a company name of ABC Company, then you could zero in on that record with something like this:

select owner, * from contact1 where company = 'ABC Company'

Again, the above is simply so that you can determine the precise OWNER value to set on the new records.  Watch for spaces that can be elusive.

The curtaining value is stored in the 2nd character position of the STATUS field of the CONTACT1 record, with one of these numeric values:

NONE - 0

Partial - 1

Complete - 2

Semi-partial - 3

When doing a global replace on the STATUS field, you want to MAKE SURE to retain the 1st and 3rd characters and ONLY replace the middle or 2nd character with the desired curtaining code from above. 

To properly do this:

a) Choose the Global Replace option for "Update a field using advanced options".

b) Choose the "Evaluate Value as dBASE expression" option (on the next screen).

c) Set the Update Field to Status.

d) Set the Expression value to something similar to this:

left(contact1->status,1)+'2'+right(contact1->status,1)

In the above expression, I am setting curtaining to COMPLETE (2).

Here is a screen snippet:

And on the next screen:

Again, just be careful with the Global Replace.  Make sure you select the correct FILTER or GROUP to only modify the desired records.

Hope this feedback helps. Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How should I curtain records that were created public?
            AHeged Apprentice

Thank you for fast support.

I will try to do this and get back with final result.

• 3. Re: How should I curtain records that were created public?
              AHeged Apprentice

I have applied your suggestion and it worked.

Thank you.

• 4. Re: How should I curtain records that were created public?

Glad to hear it.  You are very welcome.

• 5. Re: How should I curtain records that were created public?

Alexandru,

Many thanks to BJeffe for pointing out to me (via personal email) a MUCH simpler way to do what I told you.  I've been working with GoldMine for 20 years and simply let this slip under the radar.

Presuming you have a filter or group that identifies the records to be changed, simply go to the Lead Management option on the Go To menu and select the Assign an owner/manager option:

This presents a simple screen whereby you can pick your filter or group and then select both the ownership and curtaining desired. 

Much simpler than the Global Replace with the silly dBASE expression for the curtaining.  Plus, you don't have to figure out the group-based "code" for the ownership.

Just goes to show you that you're never too old to learn something new.  I'm equally surprised and pleased to learn of this, for future reference.

Thanks again, BJeffe, much appreciated.

• 6. Re: How should I curtain records that were created public?
                    AHeged Apprentice

Hi John,

Thank you for this info for an alternative way of working out my problem.

But I have done it with your solution already.

Thanks anyway.

Alexandru