6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 12:52 PM by danpixley

Questions about ldms_core

Apprentice

I've finally installed ldms_core on our Core LANDesk 8.8 Sp2 server, and have been running a scheduled task for a week or so.  I have some questions about what ldms_core is reporting.

1.  "1,699 scheduled task events were completed in the last day. 78 machines reported success, 1,621 machines reported failure, for a success ratio of 4%."

What sheduled tasks is it talking about?  Is this all tasks in the local scheduler on each managed device (including inventory scans, vuln scans, security scans, etc.)?  Why is my success rate so low?

2.  "1,584 unmanaged devices in the database, 431 (27%) were seen in the last day, 1,289 (81%) were seen within the week."

I only have atotal of 623 devices in UDD if I look in the console.  This includes all of our printers, network devices, etc.  Where is this large number coming from?

3.  "There are 100 machines in Configuration > Pending Unmanaged Client Deployments."

If I look in the Pending unamanged client deployment container in the Network View of the Console, it is empty.  How do I clear this out?

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: Questions about ldms_core
          Employee

Hi Dan,

1) Any machine reporting completion within the last 24 hours on any scheduled tasks or scheduled policies will go into that number. These could be policies from a long time ago, but the agent has to report right now. This query is not scoped, so you will see activity that another admin is doing (which might explain the low success percentage).

2) SP2 (and SP3, I now find) has a bug that hides all your discovered wireless access points from the console. Go to your database and run this, then you'll see them:

update unmanagednodes set devicegroupinfo_idn='9' where unmanagednodes_idn in ( select unmanagednodes_idn from wapdiscoverynodes )

3) That one's weird -- I suppose they could be in some of those provisioning folders? What does this SQL show you?

select count(*) from computer where deviceid='Unassigned'

• 2. Re: Questions about ldms_core
            Apprentice

Jack,

Thanks for answering this.  I really appreciate your ldms_core tool!

I had my db run those two querries.  For the hidden wireless devices in UDD, she said that 0 rows were modified.

I attached the output of the second query for the Pending unmanaged client deployments.  These devies are listed in "All devices", not Pending unmanaged client deployments.  These things have been a pain in the but since day one with LANDesk.  I can delete them in the Console, and a few weeks later they all seem to creep back in again (I am not certain that they are the same devices that are "creeping" back into the database).  Any ideas what I should do with these?  how are they getting into the LANDesk All devices database (according to the Console), yet showing up in UDD according to a direct database query?

Thanks,

Dan

• 3. Re: Questions about ldms_core
              Employee

thanks!

have her review the unmanagednodes table with you -- I'm just counting the rows in it

Ok, that last bit is PXE booting workstations... now that I think about it, that is nornal behavior and I should document it as a possibility in ldms_core. Assuming that they get an agent on them at some point it's not a big deal, but I suspect that they're not just workstations that eventually get the agent on them.

• 4. Re: Questions about ldms_core
                Apprentice

Thanks!  I will go over the unmanagednodes table with my db, and see what is up there.  As far as the PXE booting computers, what else could they be if not machines that are being PXE booted, and eventually imaged?

As a university, we often surplus old computers.  We PXE boot them, put an "exit" image on them (without an agent), and send them off to be auctioned.  I suppose this could account for these devices?

Thanks,

Dan

• 5. Re: Questions about ldms_core
                  Employee

Hi Dan,

yes, that PXE booting of exit images is likely to be the source of those records. I've changed the language of that warning a bit in ldms_core 3.7.0 to note that it's possibly not just Pending Unmanaged Clients.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Questions about ldms_core
                    Apprentice

Thanks for your help!