4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 9:14 AM by SEaton

Automated Process Theory: How to fork between two paths

SEaton Rookie

This is difficult to explain in words without being confusing; bear with me.

The simplified story goes like this: I'm walking along a path and stop at two gates. One gate transports me AROUND the Middle Tasks, the other gate takes me THROUGH the Middle Tasks.  Whichever gate opens first, I'll proceed through. How do I build the gates on this path?

My automated process that generally looks like this:

######################

<Beginning Tasks>

if X field status changes, jump over "Middle Tasks" and branch to "Final Tasks".

hold until Y field Date elapses, then continue through "Middle Tasks".

<Middle Tasks>

<Final Tasks>

####################

How do I handle the fork in the road?  I want to skip over the "Middle Tasks" section IF a field status gets changed BEFORE Y date elapses.  But if Y date elapses and X status hasn't been changed, we should continue processing Middle Tasks.

Caveat: Somewhere during the Middle and Final Tasks, the X field status WILL change if it wasn't already changed before the fork.

I thought about a preemptive task that would check for the X field status change and branch to Final Tasks.  But because the field status WILL eventually change, I just want to skip the Middle Tasks if X field changes BEFORE the Y date elapses.  Once X field changes AFTERWARDS, I don't want to go BACK to the beginning of Final Tasks (which the preemptive task would do).

Any ideas?