I created a Custom Detail type and created a folder tab to hold them, with custom names for each field. However I later changed the custom names in the Setup tab for that custom Detail type, but when I hit OK these changes are not updated in the custom tab for some reason.So how do I update the field names shown in the tab so that they match with the custom field names I have entered in the Setup dialog box ?
That's how to do it.
Have you restarted GoldMine and still not seen the labels change?
How about if you remove the custom TAB name (leave the custom fields) and OK it and then return and re-add the custom tab name?
Thanks Doug. Yes I restarted but that didn't fix it.
How exactly do I remove a custom tab ? I removed all the Custom field names from the Setup screen for that custom detail type, hit OK and restarted GM but I still see the tab and the wrong field names
Don't remove the field names, just remove the TAB name on the setup screen.
I tried that as well, but no change: still have the custom tab.
Sounds like you might have made multiple different detail record headers for the custom tab.
To be sure you're editing the correct detail custom tab header:
1. go to the custom tab and create a new entry
2. switch to the DETAILS tab on that contact and edit the entry
I just did that but I can see that I don't have multiple detail record headers because the Setup tab for that newly created entry is the same as all the other ones. I just have the one record header.
If you have just the one detail header and remove the tab name, but the tab is still there, I guess you have some corrupt record(s) or something of that nature and will need to talk to support and/or your partner to get it straightened out.
I hired a GM consultant but he wasn't able to fix this. I guess I'll have to take it up with Heat tech support but any time I ask them something difficult they just tell me to get a consultant !! I do seem to remember reading something in a help file or PDF that said you can't delete a custom tab if you have any detail records for that custom detail type, so maybe that's why I can't delete the tab ... or maybe I'm misremembering.
Thanks for your time Doug.
I concur with Doug that seeking help from a certified GM partner is the way to go.
Depending on how much of the technical details you want to get into (and whether or not you're SQL savvy), 2 places I'd suggest looking for possible corruption:
1) Query the CONTSUPP table for records with a rectype = 'H'.
2) Look in your <username>.ini file in the main GoldMine folder and search for the name of the tab (whatever custom name you gave it).
Both of these options could potentially prove rather revealing.
Hope this feedback helps.
Thanks John. I searched my user .ini and found an entry where all the field labels were listed. But if I manually change them or even delete the whole entry, it just gets automatically recreated when I login. Logging in as MASTER user also shows the same incorrect labels so I think it's not being pulled from an ini. I'll ask my GM consultant to query the CONTSUPP table for records with a rectype = 'H' and let me see the results.
At least from a "research" perspective, you should be able to run this query from within GoldMine (Tools | SQL Query):
select * from contsupp where rectype = 'H' order by contsupref
You simply won't be able to make any changes, if needed. Changes would need to be done at the SQL level.
Note that both the name of the detail AND the custom tab name (if applicable) are stored in the CONTSUPREF field of the H records in CONTSUPP.
If a given details does NOT have a custom tab name, then the CONTSUPREF field should solely contain the detail name itself.
Hope this feedback helps. Best of luck.
Also check your GM.ini for ROTABS related items..