At the risk of stating the obvious, have you confirmed that Menu option has not been explicitly disabled:
Worst case, you might delete and recreate their GM ID, make sure to backup/restore any of their <username>.* files in the main GM directory, along the way.
Just my quick 2 cents worth. Hope this feedback helps.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes I have confirmed that Menu option has not been explicitly disabled.
I am concerned about what I will loose if I delete and recreate their GM ID. Can you offer a link to learn more about how to do that?
I have a customer this happens to constantly. Renaming the user.ini fixes it every time. What is messing up the INI is a mystery.
Explicitly disabling menu items for master users doesn't disable anything anymore. I wish it did because it used to be very useful.
Thanks for the reply.
Can I impose on you to be specific as to how to fix this?
So if the user ini file is bob.ini, do I rename it to anything - like bob-old.ini? Does Goldmine then recreate a working INI file when the user next logs in?
Right. If the user is BOB rename the BOB.INI to oldBOB.INI or whatever you like. Then log in as the user and a new one will be created. You'll have to reset the preferences for the user.
It worked. Thanks
Now how do I copy the email settings from the old ini to the new one?
In the old INI file copy the entire [Internet] section and paste it into the new one. Be sure to overwrite or remove the existing [Internet] section in the new INI file if it exists.
Sorry for being late to the party this morning.
I was going to essentially respond to your original "I am concerned about what I will loose if I delete and recreate their GM ID." statement by suggesting that you simply:
(Using jrehm's BOB reference...)
1) Rename the existing BOB.ini file to anything else (possibly as well as other bob.* files, such as BOB.tbi or BOB_info.bin).
2) Then, EITHER delete and recreate the BOB GM ID altogether OR simply log into GoldMine as Bob, thus having it create a new one.
3) Then, immediately EXIT GoldMine.
4) Now COPY the [Internet] section from the old/renamed INI file to the newly created BOB.INI file.
While there are lots of other settings in the <username>.ini file, the emails settings in the [Internet] section are usually the biggest loss when doing this type of rename.
jrehm's feedback is obviously spot on.
Hope this feedback helps and your problem is now fully resolved.
Thanks for your reply.
All is working, although I found a new issue that I will create a new post about
Renaming the user.ini, creating a new one and copying in the entire [Internet] section will work to fix the issue but it seems like a sort of "shotgun" approach to the problem. Does anybody know the specific section in the user.ini that causes the problem in the first place?
I hear you loud and clear, David. Through these 20+ years of supporting GoldMine, I've spent untold hours tracking down precise corruption in <usenrame>.ini files, on many occasions for varying symptoms. Trying to explain doing the same to anyone posting on the Community Forum like this is probably a bit much and more than THEY want to go through, I'm sure.
Your question (asking if anyone already knows precisely the section) is clearly very legit. I would hope if someone does happen to know precisely WHERE this rare corruption resides, they will pipe in.
When your main tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail!
And given how many GM 'nails' there are you have to wonder sometimes if those calling the shots on what is and isn't addressed during development are from a family of blacksmiths.
2 of 2 people found this helpful
Our firm has also seen this issue at a number of our client sites. I spoke with FrontRange about this around 18 months ago and they acknowledge the issue and provided a fix that is less drastic than renaming the user's INI file. The following are the notes I made from that support call:
This is supposedly caused by corruption to the toolbar section of a user's INI file. However, I am confused as to why this procedure fixed the problem for user X (who I was logged in as) and Master at the same time.
The fix, as provided by FrontRange:1. In GoldMine, right click to the right of the toolbar (in the GoldMine logo right under the minimize button for the GoldMine window).
2. Choose Customize...
3. Select the Menu Bar (unselect Standard and Taskbar) and make sure the Menu Bar entry is highlighted.
4. Click the Reset button.
This seems to consistently correct the problem provided that you make sure to highlight the Menu Bar entry as specified in Step 3.
Best of luck,
I was about to say simply delete the [TOOLBAR] and [TOOL16] sections from the USER.INI file but you've given a solution via the GUI instead of needing to edit the USER.INI file.