What version of GoldMine is being used?
At first blush, sounds like the index on the USERS table may be off a bit. This is a long shot, and you should normally NOT need to manually reindex SQL-based GoldMine tables, but...this is easy to do and should not hurt anything either (if done properly). Further, even if this does NOT resolve your problem, at least you've then ruled it out.
To reindex the USERS table:
1) Via the GM menus, go to Tools | Maintain Database....
2) Select Individual Files and click Next.
3) On the next screen, scroll down and check (and ONLY check) Users:
4) On the next screen, do NOT check the Rebuild and Pack option, click Next:
5) Click Finish.
6) When completed, I would exit GoldMine and then log back in and check your symptom.
Again, this is a long shot, and I'm not confident this will fix your issue. However, you can at least rule this out.
Hope this feedback helps.
Followed your instructions but the problem continues.
This may actually be a hardware issue. Try swapping out your mouse and see if the issue persists. If your mouse is wireless, try replacing the batteries.
I logged in to Goldmine from 3 different computers and have the same problem
I can select the user that I want, I then tab off of the field and the user name remains the one I want. I press OK to save.
When I open the properties again, the user is back to the user that is the one above the one I selected.
I know you've done this from 3 different computers. How about different GM IDs? Are you experiencing this undesired behavior with more than one GM ID, or is it always the same GM ID that is actively logged into GoldMine?
Knowing the answer to that question could help with additional troubleshooting/suggestions.
Also, what version of GoldMine is being used?
Lastly, do you have access to SQL-based tools such as SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)?
I tried using another Master account and had the same problem.
I am running Version 2016 1.0.179
I believe that I do have SQL Management Studio, but am not an expert in using it.
So I have just a few checks that may throw some light on this.
Does this behaviour happen anywhere else when selecting another user such as scheduling calls?
Where are you accessing the email account setting from, Logged in as user and Options or User Settings Preferences? Try both..
Do you have any User Names which have strange characters, such as o'donnell?
Is there any override settings in your gm.ini?
These are just a few item to check to see if there is anything obvious
The problem was that one user name began with ~. I deleted that user and the problem is gone.
Thanks to all for your help.
Doh! Well, there you go. Glad to hear you got it resolved.
I've seen odd behavior with this preference also. Not quite like you saw, but I have a customer where this was set for a few users to a user that no longer exists. The user it was set to was deleted from GM and the emails to that user ended up going to random users. I added the deleted user back in, cleared this preference and then deleted the user. Behavior continued and when going back into the preference for the problem users the setting was back to the wrong user. The ultimate fix was to clear out the environment table. Since there's nothing in there that I could specifically pinpoint for this setting I cleared everything except the ones I knew. As a rule I tell users to never touch this preference because I've seen too many users get things screwed up by not understanding what it does.
As a side note it would be helpful if a list of what is kept in the environment table and a method to decipher it would be published. I see no good reason for it to be the cryptic mess that it is.