1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 8, 2017 2:57 PM by John Neighbors

Migrate or archive Goldmine

roman.terescenko Rookie

Goldmine Premium 9.2.59 March 2012

Hi. We have not been using our Goldmine for few years and would like to find a way to keep information while reusing the server it was installed on. So I came up with the idea of migrating database and program to new server.

Step 1:

I copied program to a new server, ran Setup from Goldmine\Setup, pointed to old ini files and it works. In Goldmine ini files it points to old database IP.

Result: Goldmine works on new server while communicating/contacting old MS SQL server.

Step 2:

Installed SQL Express 2012 on new server, restored Goldmine backup successfully. in dbalias.ini pinted IP to new server.

Goldmine does not work, when I start GM and try to login with my account, after that I get error message saying:

"Incorrect configuration of database aliase "GoldMine:" - check dbalias.ini. Login/password can not be empty"

After:

"[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied." Native code 17, source "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server"

Result: cannot work with restored database

I am guessing I should create additional user in SQL database or try different servertype in dbalias.ini config file? dbalias.ini also contains PASSWORD which looks encrypted, would providing new unencrypted password work?

I only need to keep the data in case employees would need to check one old record, which is unlikely to happen. However we cannot just keep database backup in cold storage without knowing how to restore and make it accessible. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Migrate or archive Goldmine
          John Neighbors SSMMVPGroup

For starters, don't worry about the old, encrypted password in the DBALIAS.INI file. When moving to a new SQL server, you'll get similar error messages, but will be prompted for SQL credentials when logging in to GoldMine.  Simply enter the new SQL credentials and check the Save Settings option and that part should be fine.  (Manually changing the password in the DBALIAS.INI file will not help in the least.)

THIS is very likely your key issue: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Are you trying this FROM the new SQL server itself, or from a DIFFERENT computer?

This error message can happen if trying from a different computer (than the SQL server) and if either the SQL server (most often) OR the computer you are on, have Windows Firewall settings inhibiting SQL traffic. If this is the case, you will need to configure the firewall in question to allow SQL traffic to flow (you can Google how to do this).

I've also seen this same symptom, when trying from a different computer, where the Windows Firewall was NOT the issue, but the issue was resolved by simply STARTING the "SQL Server Browser" Windows Service on the new SQL Server.  This is not ALWAYS the solution, but I have seen it prove to be such on more than one occasion.

Anyway, those are two possibilities.

Hope this feedback helps. Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.