4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 4:15 PM by nogi

Equipment Ordering Process

Apprentice

I've been tasked with getting a ordering process into UAT. I have drafted my thoughts using the Visio template and was hoping to seek feedback regarding whether I am on the right track. Is it ok to upload my visio to this forum? I don't mind sharing the process.

• 1. Re: Equipment Ordering Process
          aparker Employee

Hi,

No problems uploading the Visio. It's always good to see what everyones looking to implement. I, and others, will be happy to comment on what you're trying to achieve. Give us as much info as you can on the background to the process and the business requirement.

Andy

• 2. Re: Equipment Ordering Process
            Apprentice

Please excuse the mistakes as I am still learning my way around this tool and trying my best to remember what I learnt in the process designer course.

Basically trying to have a process where staff can request an item from some sort of a product catalog (e.g. a new desktop PC) and have it go through an initial approval process. If approved, I want a task generated for each item selected from the list of items (e.g. 1 x desktop PC, 5 x LCD screens, etc...). Multiple quantities of the same item should still be in the single task for that item with qty specified.

This is what I have drafted so far.

• 3. Re: Equipment Ordering Process
              aparker Employee

Ok, the basic process that you have shown is good, but there are some complex elemenst that you're going to have to include to achieve what you're looking to. I'll try to explain some of what I mean. What you have is the basic framework for the approval, but not the task related design. If your intention is to manage each part of the request from a task then you need to have an action that allows the person creating the request to specifiy each of the selections made. You'll need to provide some form of category or ref list showing the available selection items. Now there is a level of complexity here, in that you'll have to create what I call a dummy action. This pretends to be something else, in this case the task, but provides the end user with a meaningful link. So here we have Add Task as the default name, which we can't change. So we create a new object which is a collection that has an action name of Add Item.

This is quite cmplex process desig that is difficult to explain here, but we can explore some of the concepts more if you wish.

Andy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Equipment Ordering Process
                Apprentice

aparker wrote:

This is quite cmplex process desig that is difficult to explain here, but we can explore some of the concepts more if you wish.

Yes please as I am now a little more confused then before.