8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2018 9:10 AM by John Neighbors

Sync laptop installation

RCruis Apprentice

Hi all,

GoldMine 2014.0.1.485

Im currently trying to set up a sync laptop using the installation file method. There is a lot of data to come across and the user needs everything, so it ended up using the newer method of creating a batch file and a transfer set (rather than an exe file). Initial installation went okay, but the retrieval has been running for 72 hours now and counting. Its chugging through attachments, but it only seems to be retrieving them at a rate of about one per second (if even that).

Is there any way to speed this up? Ive tried turning off AV software etc just to ensure that they werent being scanned on the way in or anything like that. I expected this to take a while, but not this long!

• 1. Re: Sync laptop installation
          John Neighbors Expert

This will not help the current effort (so is clearly not answering your question), but...

What we've done for other clients, when faced with similar needs, is...

* Configure the sync settings to NOT send email attachments, purely WHILE building the install file with the initial transfer set.  Once the initial setup is completed, then we change to INCLUDE such with syncing.

* Then, ZIP the (clearly HUGE in this case) Mailbox\Attach folder.  Manually transfer this big ZIP file to the destination system and unzip it.

* After the initial transfer set retrieval is completed (which should go much faster w/o the email attachments), if the literal "paths" referenced within the GoldMine data itself is off (e.g. drive letter differences, slight path differences, etc.) between the main GM install and this remote install/location, then we simply run the various SQL scripts that we use for updating email attachment paths, just like when dealing with server migrations.  (DCastell has some great SQL scripts for updating such.)

Again, I realize this doesn't help this EXISTING, LONG retrieval, but for future reference.

Hope this feedback helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sync laptop installation
            RCruis Apprentice

Thanks John. That makes a lot of sense alright. Got kind of caught out with this one as I have never seen an installation take anything like this lone before (its still running...)! I suspect it wont be the last time we see this though so good to know how to approach it in future.

• 3. Re: Sync laptop installation
              EquumStercore Apprentice

I had one of these go for literally 2 weeks before it finished.  I have a customer that often hired remote users and what I did with them to avoid all the hoopla was setup a remote install on a spare workstation and sync it every couple of weeks.  When a new remote had to be set up I just copied the workstation install over to the laptop and re-licensed it.

• 4. Re: Sync laptop installation
                RCruis Apprentice

Finally finished over the weekend, after running for nearly a week! I have never seen anything like it.

• 5. Re: Sync laptop installation
                  RCruis Apprentice

Thats a good idea. I dont know how regular this is going to be, but it is something I will question.

• 6. Re: Sync laptop installation
                    CButle2 Apprentice

When the laptop will be getting ALL the data from the Server, I usually restore a backup of SQL on the Server and run the queries to set the attachment paths to the appropriate folders on the laptop and copy the attachments directory and paste it on the laptop. Then I set the sync to just before the date I did the backup on the Server. That is the quickest way to do it for me.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Sync laptop installation
                      HGreth Rookie

>> then we simply run the various SQL scripts that we use for updating email attachment paths, just like when dealing with server migrations.  (DCastell has some great SQL scripts for updating such.) <<

John, Doug,

Can you provide this SQL scripts to us - or at least an example? As the email attachment link is stored at the end of the NOTES-field it is not easy to handle it.

[email protected]

Many thanks!

Heiko

• 8. Re: Sync laptop installation
                        John Neighbors Expert

Heiko,

I just sent you such via email, as requested.

Hope this helps.