8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2017 12:37 PM by mvalpreda

Customer emails being marked as spam constantly

mvalpreda Rookie

Have a customer on GoldMine 2017 Premium and their emails get marked as spam quite often. In looking at the breakdown of the spam rules they are hitting, I found a few things that I think are GoldMine related. Hoping I might be able to change a setting somewhere and get them cleaned up. They are using the GoldMine app for all emails and not Outlook.

pts  rule name              description

---- ---------------------- --------------------------------

0.82 MIME_QP_LONG_LINE_2    META: RAW: Quoted-printable line longer than 76 chars

0.00 HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_12     BODY: HTML: images with 800-1200 bytes of words

1.05 FROM_EXCESS_BASE64_2   META: From: base64 encoded unnecessarily

0.00 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message

0.00 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts

0.00 BSF_BESS_OUTBOUND      META: BESS Outbound

0.00 MIME_QP_LONG_LINE      RAWBODY: Quoted-printable line longer than 76 chars

0.01 FROM_EXCESS_BASE64     META: From: base64 encoded unnecessarily

1.63 HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_12_2   META: HTML: images with 800-1200 bytes of words

The BASE64 ones are puzzling to me. I checked other emails that they receive and those rules and not triggered (not even listed!) so I'm leaning towards GoldMine. Hoping someone has seen that and knows how I might be able to clean that up.

The image one I can fix up pretty easy. Their signature has a lot of text in it and that's an old spammer trick.....so filters don't like that. Just need to work with them on updating the signature. That will get them well below 2.0 and probably enough to call it a day.

They are doing POP/SMTP with GoldMine to their on-premises Exchange 2010 server (soon to be 2016), and I'm wondering if there is a better way to integrate than using POP/SMTP. If so, that might fix up the other issues.

Sorry for the noob GoldMine questions, I'm a network guy!

• 1. Re: Customer emails being marked as spam constantly
          JRehm Apprentice

You didn't say if this was email being sent from GoldMine or retrieved into GoldMine.  If retrieved into GoldMine the issue is not GoldMine.

The BASE64 thing is related to obfuscation of the From.

• 2. Re: Customer emails being marked as spam constantly
            mvalpreda Rookie

Sent from Goldmine through an Exchange 2010 SMTP connector. Happens when using an outside SMTP connector as well.

Would like to get it fixed up. Opened a case with Goldmine support and they told me they have no plans to fix it.

• 3. Re: Customer emails being marked as spam constantly
              JRehm Apprentice

So you're saying Support says it's a known issue?  We have a lot of customers sending through Exchange of all flavors and don't experience this.  What kinds of emails are being sent this happens with?  If not all of them are being flagged as spam I'd have to suspect the email content or something on the mail server side altering them.  The obfuscation is interesting.  Are you sure the emails aren't going through something on their way to or from the mail server that is obfuscating the From?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Customer emails being marked as spam constantly
                DCastell Expert

I have similar questions/doubts as Jeff. 

Saying that GoldMine support told you they have no plans to fix this implies that something is wrong with GoldMine.  I have yet to see any evidence to support that claim. 

It's like saying that you have trouble keeping your car between the lines on the road and Ford told you they have no plans to fix that...  Maybe it's not their problem to fix in the first place?

• 5. Re: Customer emails being marked as spam constantly
                  3cubed Apprentice

Maybe take a look at this article and scroll down to SCENARIO C then keep scrolling until you reach:

[GoldMine]

XMAILER=Microsoft Outlook 15.0

Please let me know if this helps.

• 6. Re: Customer emails being marked as spam constantly
                    JRehm Apprentice

The error he's getting doesn't necessarily indicate the issue is GoldMine or a spam filter purposely blocking it because it is GoldMine sending the email.  "META: RAW: Quoted-printable line longer than 76 chars" could be GoldMine related if emails were being forwarded or the problem emails were replies but that doesn't appear to be the case.  I'm thinking that there may be a signature of some sort that's causing this.

• 7. Re: Customer emails being marked as spam constantly
                      mvalpreda Rookie

In looking into

1.05 FROM_EXCESS_BASE64_2   META: From: base64 encoded unnecessarily

that I see in the spam filter logs, that means the FROM field is triggering the issue. That is generated by GoldMine when the email is sent. Does it with Exchange and through other non-Exchange SMTP connectors.

• 8. Re: Customer emails being marked as spam constantly
                        mvalpreda Rookie

Send an email from GoldMine and the FROM field is encoded BASE64. Send it from Outlook, Thunderbird, etc and it does not show up with the FROM field encoded BASE64 and triggering the spam filter through the same SMTP connector. The only difference: GoldMine. We brought this up to GoldMine with the evidence from the logs and showing how the same computer with a different email client does not have the issue. I got the same issue when a GoldMine user receives an email with a digital signature and GoldMine crashes.

Description

- We have had some problems with emails in GoldMine and have worked most of them out. - Recently however we are having reports of our contacts not receiving our emails and they are being scored as SPAM.

RM Update from Development

After reviewing your incident, we do not plan to address this issue at this time. These decisions are based on the priority of a request, whether a request has been made by other users, consistency with our product strategy and framework, and the level of effort required to implement the change.  We wanted to follow up and let you know that it was considered and your incident has been logged in our system for future reference.  We understand that this might have an impact on your business and regret if this causes any inconveniences.