7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2018 9:39 AM by GoldmineExpert

Anyone have a direct link to the Goldmine dde fix on msWord?

tina Rookie

I'm new to inserting links into a Word doc. (I haven't set up GM since late 1990's and not used it since 2001) Some things familiar, but still pecking my way though. I was told I need to download a fix. the link provided took me to general area but not the correct link Anyone Help?

• 1. Re: Anyone have a direct link to the Goldmine dde fix on msWord?
          John Neighbors SSMMVPGroup

Tina,

Using this documentation as a reference: Merging a Word template against contacts will n... | Ivanti User Community

...we recently helped a client resolve GM/Word merging issues caused by Windows Updates.  Each fix took one simple registry change, per PC.  We simply followed what was documented in this above documentation that said:

Microsoft notes that

'...Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Office that provides enhanced security as a defense-in-depth measure. The update disables the Dynamic Update Exchange protocol (DDE) in all supported editions of Microsoft Word.

Microsoft is continuing to investigate this issue and will update this advisory as further updates become available. If you are unable to install the update, or if you need to disable the DDE protocol in other Office applications such as Excel, see Microsoft Security Advisory 4053440. Note that the mitigations listed in the advisory will not disable DDE, but will disable auto-update for any linked fields, including DDE.

If you need to change DDE functionality in Word after installing the update, follow these steps:

In the Registry Editor navigate to \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\version\Word\Security >> AllowDDE(DWORD)

Set the DWORD value based on your requirements as follows:

AllowDDE(DWORD) = 0: To disable DDE. This is the default setting after you install the update.

AllowDDE(DWORD) = 1: To allow DDE requests to an already running program, but prevent DDE requests that require another executable program to be launched.

AllowDDE(DWORD) = 2: To fully allow DDE requests...'

After making that one, simple registry change, they were then able to do their Word merges again.  We ended up creating 3 distinct *.REG files on a shared network drive, allowing any network users to apply this "fix" on any computers running Word 2007, Word 2010 OR Word 2013.

Hope this feedback helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Anyone have a direct link to the Goldmine dde fix on msWord?
            tina Rookie

thanks, I still can't SEE the links until I open it in GM to know if I did it right. Now I have redo the ones with dup links but thanks

• 3. Re: Anyone have a direct link to the Goldmine dde fix on msWord?
              John Neighbors SSMMVPGroup

Maybe these two keyboard shortcuts in Word would be helpful?

F9        - Update fields - updates all fields contained in the current selection.

Alt+F9    - View field codes - toggles field code display for all fields in the entire document.

This would apply while working with the TEMPLATE but NOT once you have a true MERGED document, at which point the merge fields have been replaced with true data (and are no longer merge fields).

• 4. Re: Anyone have a direct link to the Goldmine dde fix on msWord?
                tina Rookie

I've completed on merge document. Rough but it works. YEA!!

• 5. Re: Anyone have a direct link to the Goldmine dde fix on msWord?
                  EquumStercore Apprentice

Here's the direct link if you want to bookmark it

Merging a Word template against contacts will n... | Ivanti User Community

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Anyone have a direct link to the Goldmine dde fix on msWord?
                    DGelfu Apprentice

We created a .reg file with the following contents (between outer quotes).

"Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Word\Security]

"AllowDDE"=dword:00000002"

Simply run that on an affected computer and the DDE linking works again.

• 7. Re: Anyone have a direct link to the Goldmine dde fix on msWord?
                      Rookie

We had some users and a terminal server where the above registry key was not enough.  We also needed to create a key under HKEY_USERS too.  That did the trick. It's also a good idea to make sure your Office products are closed when you do this.  A reboot is not needed.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Word\Security]

"AllowDDE"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3087177464-3443756838-2074457519-1001\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Word\Security]

"AllowDDE"=dword:00000002

In order to find your SID for the HKEY_USERS edit you can you the following cmd from the cmd prompt. While logged in as the user that is having the problem.

wmic useraccount get name,sid

~Maggie
                      Independent Goldmine Support