4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2018 3:51 PM by berxleben

Child Request ticket requires submit

berxleben Apprentice

Environment: Service Desk 2016.3

I'm trying to create a simple server decommission process that will create one child request as well as several tasks for the various groups needed to complete our server decommission process.

Everything is working well up to this point other than the child request that gets created is a Firewall Removal Request and it has a step in the process to submit the ticket prior to approval. We are trying to make this server decommission process as automatic as possible once created. Ideally we would want the created child ticket to pull parent details into the case and submit itself. Is there an easy way to do this systematically?

Thanks in advanced for any assistance

• 1. Re: Child Request ticket requires submit
          Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

Assuming you are creating the Child Request via an Automatic Action in your process then of course you can pass in values to fields via either ValueType or Calculation methods.

In terms of skipping the SUBMIT stage when creating via a process the normal method is to create a flag of some sort (create say a "CreatedfromProcess" Boolean field in Object Designer default value of FALSE) and set this to true/checked in the Automatic Action that creates the Child request. Then in your normal Request Process create a condition at the start which tests if the Boolean is set and if so skips around the SUBMIT action and onto the next section of the process.

Hope this guides you in the right direction.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 2. Re: Child Request ticket requires submit
            berxleben Apprentice

That is a great suggestion. I'm in process of getting it implemented, but I'm running into an error every time I try to save the firewall removal request process. It is telling me I cannot save or alter a process that is currently in use. I then went and closed all of the test tickets that have ever been created with this particular process and went in reloaded the process remade the edits. I did make sure to deactivate the process prior to any changes I tried making, is there something I'm missing that is preventing me from saving the changes you recommended?

• 3. Re: Child Request ticket requires submit
              Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

As long as the process is deactivated then you should be able to make your changes.

The presence of any active lifecycles is usually of no consequence with one exception;  you cant delete a status in a lifecycle if that status is current on one or more lifecycles. 

Otherwise you should be able to change.  After all, all you are really doing is adding a new condition and branching around the submit manual action.

One old-timer  tip when you are editing processes, try to re-use links wherever possible;  ie pick up the handle on the link end point and move it to your new process action or condition to recoonect rather than delete and re-add the link as otherwise the designer can sometimes get confused and give you errors in the form “Cannot save the process as multiple links on status xxxxx”.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 4. Re: Child Request ticket requires submit
                berxleben Apprentice

I ended up doing an IIS restart and reloaded the console. I was also making it more complicated than needed and deleted one of the two pre-conditions I made after the Open status. It was able to be saved and upon testing the process, it worked as I needed. Thanks for the suggestion Julian.