8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2018 3:37 PM by John Neighbors

Setting default code in GoldMine E-Mail template

Mike.Boggs Rookie

We're using GoldMine Premium Edition 2017.1.0.  We use E-mail templates regularly.  We need to have a specific Code assigned to many of these emails.  Is there a way to build this into the E-Mail template so every email sent from a template will have a constant code assigned?  Our people are forgetting to set the code when the email is being sent so it would be easier if could set a default.  Thanks...

• 1. Re: Setting default code in GoldMine E-Mail template
          LHurse Apprentice

If you send email blasts, you can set the activity and/or result code in the properties in the File in History tab of the email template before merging.

For one-offs, If the subject line is the same for the email templates, you could setup an Auto Process that will search emails in History for a specific Subject line and update the codes.

The only other thing I can think of is after the email template is created, change the name of the template in the Document Management Center by adding "**ENTER CODE**" at the end of the title.  When you select that template, the added text does not appear in the subject line - might be a gentle reminder for the users.

Maybe someone else has some ideas?

Hope that helps.

• 2. Re: Setting default code in GoldMine E-Mail template
            John Neighbors Expert

Mike,

I presume the reference to CODE is talking about in the resulting HISTORY record that is created, correct?

If so, then to the best of my knowledge, there is not a way to preset a CODE value on an email template, especially if that template will be used in an ad-hoc manner by GM users.

If the template was being used by a GoldMine automated process, then you COULD preset the CODE, RESULT AND Reference values.

Short of that, the only viable option I would know would be to have a SQL trigger defined on either the MAILBOX or CONTHIST tables, have it "recognize" the specific email template that was used and subsequently SET the CODE value, as desired.  Yes, that's custom SQL coding for such a simple need, but that's the best option I can think of, off the top of my head.

Hope this feedback helps.

• 3. Re: Setting default code in GoldMine E-Mail template
              Mike.Boggs Rookie

Thanks, John.  Yes, the CODE is the one on the resulting HISTORY record.  Your information is very helpful.  Thanks a bunch.

• 4. Re: Setting default code in GoldMine E-Mail template
                Mike.Boggs Rookie

Thanks, that is helpful.  We may set up an Automated Process to catch any that are missed.  I appreciate the feedback.

• 5. Re: Setting default code in GoldMine E-Mail template
                  John Neighbors Expert

LHurse,

I'm curious how you go about doing this:  you could setup an Auto Process that will search emails in History for a specific Subject line and update the codes?

I'm not aware of how you can UPDATE an existing History record with an auto process?!?! Trigger of off of an existing History?  YES!  Creating a NEW History? YES! 

But, update an existing History?  I'm anxious to learn here!    Thanks in advance for clarifying.

• 6. Re: Setting default code in GoldMine E-Mail template
                    John Neighbors Expert

Mike,

I just had another thought come to mind:

You could create a SIMPLE automated process that executes immediately upon attachment and has an IMMEDIATE trigger with an ACTION for sending the email in question.

If the users don't "tweak" the email contents any, but simply SEND IT, then you could configure the action to SEND IMMEDIATE.

If the users DO "tweak" the email contents, then configure the email for QUEUE FOR DELIVERY.  You could then still SET the CODE value and they could tweak the "queued" email that would then be on the Pending tab, awaiting their tweak.

Doh!  I can't believe I didn't propose this before.  I actually have several such automated processes defined that I routinely use on my own system.  I'm getting forgetful in my old age.

Hope this additional feedback helps.

• 7. Re: Setting default code in GoldMine E-Mail template
                      LHurse Apprentice

Duh!  You're absolutely right!  I didn't think that one through.  So Mike would need to create a new history record, as you mentioned, in the auto process.  It would mean double activities for each of those types of emails.  It would depend on the volume of these emails per contact record to determine if it's worth it.

Thanks for setting me straight, John!

• 8. Re: Setting default code in GoldMine E-Mail template
                        John Neighbors Expert

To be clear, with this last suggestion...

The GM users would NOT compose and send an email.  Rather, they would ATTACH the AP, that sends the email.  Therefore, they still have one "action" to take themselves, but it's attaching an AP rather than composing the email manually.

Just realized in my rush to reply I failed to make that clear.  Hope this helps.