8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2018 11:44 AM by Pitmac1

Service Catalog Publishing Question

Pitmac1 Apprentice

Hey ServiceDesk Pals,

When you publish Service Catalog items in ServiceDesk, how do you have those items publish in Dashboard? I'm not sure if i'm missing something, but if I have a service item called "Access Request" published to Administrators, Workspaces User, and SelfServiceGuest Roles.

But in Dashboard I receive the following message

No results found. Even though I signed in as Administrator, and i'm a role of Workspaces User.

I'm running ServiceDesk 2017.3 and this is my first attempt in getting Service Catalog working in Dashboard. This also applies to Web Desk as well no results found.

If there is a better article I can read up on, any help would be appreciated. As of now i'm following the boot-camp manual from 2016.

• 1. Re: Service Catalog Publishing Question
          Darren.Bradshaw Expert

Couple of things to look at:

1. Is the knowledge management service running
          2. Have you rebuilt the Service Catalogue
          3. Is the "Free Text Field" that you set in Config Centre set the same on all frameworks?

Darren

• 2. Re: Service Catalog Publishing Question
            Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

After you published them, did you right-click the "Publishing" tab and rebuild the Service Catalogue.  Or go into Knowledge Administration Module in console and do it there?

Also this might help:  Troubleshooting problems with publishing the Service Catalogue - Step by Step Guide

Are you seeing ANY items in your Service Catalogue?  If not you need to check your settings in ConfigurationCenter for that WebApplication framework so the "Free Text Search Index Path" is set for your KnowledgeBase share.

2018-02-01_15-35-46.png

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 3. Re: Service Catalog Publishing Question
              Pitmac1 Apprentice

Thanks guys,

I think we have narrowed it down to the Configuration Center. I have Re-built the Service Catalog both in the "Publishing" tab and in Knowledge Administration. The  Knowledge management service is running, but I do not have a path for the "Free text search index path". I don't have spot to index other information at this time, so where would be a good spot to direct this to. Can I just direct it to a empty folder? Also does it matter based on Logon Policy? If you say to apply this to all of the frameworks, couldn't I just do this to the Explicit only logon policy?

The only reason that I ask is because I had a separate issue with Outbound Email, that was a result of not having a framework with Logon policy of Explicit. 

• 4. Re: Service Catalog Publishing Question
                Darren.Bradshaw Expert

This can be anywhere on your network, as long as your user have read access to it.

• 5. Re: Service Catalog Publishing Question

I usually create a folder on the APP server and share that out.  I run my APP pools as a network account so easier to then give the App Pools write access to this share by everyone else read-only access.

Once you have the free text search path set then the Background Service will create the initial index structure but do a rebuild just for completeness.

I have a common KB share irrespective of logon policy because they are all the same data!

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 6. Re: Service Catalog Publishing Question
                    Pitmac1 Apprentice

Ok Fair Enough, So placed a folder on my App Server and shared it, placed this path in all frameworks for both my Web and App server. -> Closed Console and reopened it -> Ran a Rebuild. At this time I'm not seeing any file being generated in my Knowledge folder share that I created. Should I be?

• 7. Re: Service Catalog Publishing Question

Check your Event Log and that the Background Service is started.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 8. Re: Service Catalog Publishing Question
                        Pitmac1 Apprentice

Yeah we found the culprit, so in the Event Log it said Background Service failed to login. It wasn't routed to the framework with the Explicit Login. Once this kicked in I saw all my "pending" queue Entries in Knowledge Management Administration being to say complete. This in turned allowed my service catalog to be shown in Dashboard!

I think i'm beginning to learn more and more on Login Policies now and that doc JulianWigman mentioned on step 3 helped a lot.

Anyhow, Thanks for the help! See ya next time! lol