3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2018 2:38 PM by AlasdairRobertson

Customer selectable, notification Opt-Out / Unsubscribe?

MarkLarvo Apprentice

Good day,

Notifications. Unsubscribe. Has anyone created a user selectable opt out process for their customers? In this age of email overload how can we get our customers to read emails we really need them to read?

1) Perhaps as selectable boxes Service Desk personnel can fill in?

Receive Alerts for:

• Incident Creation
          • Incident Completion
          • Service Request Creation
          • Service Request Completion
          • Surveys

2) Perhaps as a end-user interface within Self-service? My Settings? (Is this possible?)

3) Perhaps as an Unsubscribe link in the Notification that takes the user to #2 above?

We are setting up Incident and have one location that does not want to receive the many, if not all, notifications. Once we get Self-Service in place they could check status on demand of their items.

• 1. Re: Customer selectable, notification Opt-Out / Unsubscribe?
          AlasdairRobertson ITSMMVPGroup

The suggestion is certainly possible you just test the flags before sending the emails out.  I would use a service request for the user to update their options.

I have had the conversation regarding this a number of times with customers and only a few have implemented a flag to not send emails but mostly on specific records rather than a blanket a  user can exclude themselves form emails.  The main consideration I comeback to is uses saying they didn't know xyz had been logged or had happened especially around fulfilment or resolution.  I recommend disabling the closure notifications and handle everything at the resolution email with a clear statement that if they have no further response the ticket will just automatically close.

Some customers comeback to security in that if I call the service desk and pretend to be you at least you would get an email notification of a new request or incident being raised.

• 2. Re: Customer selectable, notification Opt-Out / Unsubscribe?
            MarkLarvo Apprentice

Thanks Alasdair.

Your comments have me thinking deeper. At some point we hope to roll the system out for our General Services and perhaps other teams as well. That would end up being a lot of email...

I know our executives are overwhelmed with their current mail. However their assistants want to know what is going on.

Would a daily digest fit the bill? Maybe a My Items summary of anything Created or Modified for that day as an End of Day report?

One thing I will have to figure out for the long term is how to permit the assistant see My Items for their Executive assignments.

Thanks for assisting with the development process!

• 3. Re: Customer selectable, notification Opt-Out / Unsubscribe?
              AlasdairRobertson ITSMMVPGroup

In reverse order....

One thing I will have to figure out for the long term is how to permit the assistant see My Items for their Executive assignments.

With a little work you can add the incident to the reported by My Items list and they can then view it in self service add notes etc.  It would also be possible to add the reported by to all the email communication but I know you dont want more email.

Would a daily digest fit the bill? Maybe a My Items summary of anything Created or Modified for that day as an End of Day report?

I think the following should be possible but not tested, how about a scheduled workflow against the employee object with a run for search that produces a childfold list of associated incidents with a date modified of today where the updater is not InternalServices.  Possibly worth throwing a couple of hours at it to see if it works.  then people could subscribe to it via a Service Request.

At some point we hope to roll the system out for our General Services and perhaps other teams as well. That would end up being a lot of email...

You can control all the emails a common email tweak we make it to stop the Service Desk team from getting all the assigned to your team, your are the owner type emails.  These are important for all uses who do not use the dashboards to drive their work loads but for the service deskteam too much.

With additional teams coming onboard or moving ISM to being a platform across the organisation emails can be controlled just needs a little thought. Feel free to bounce ideas past me.