2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2018 3:14 AM by sdercksen

Printermapping based on Client IP address not working anymore

Rookie

Printermapping based on Client IP address not working anymore - initially this node was being applied at "Desktop created", i changed it to "At user logon" but makes no difference.

case:  thinclient logs on to RDS server; EM sees Client IP and maps printer IP of correct subnet (physical location)

used to work with EM 8.6.x after upgrade to EM 10.1FR3 (almost sure) does not work anymore.

Same with printermapping based on client MAC address: Thin client on certain floor/room - based on Mac address - then EM maps correct printer which is located on that floor/room.

All servers 2012 r2.

anyone?

• 1. Re: Printermapping based on Client IP address not working anymore
          joeh SupportEmployee

Hi. It's difficult to say what could be happening without seeing EM logs, but at a guess it could be that the server's IP or MAC address is being matched instead of the client's.

I would recommend you capture some EM logs of a logon using the ClientLoggingSetup that you can find as part of the EM Tools package in the install media. Just run ClientLoggingSetup.exe on the RDS server, enable logging by clicking the button in the top-left corner (you can leave all defaults in place) and then log your client session on, then turn the logging off again. You can then load the .etl file into the EmMon tool which is also part of the EM Tools, and then click 'Analyze user activity' which will allow you to see all the actions and conditions which were run during the logon. You can use the options in the top-left to filter based on what type of action/condition you're looking for so it's fairly easy to see what's happened.

If you are still struggling and you have support I recommend you log a support case.

• 2. Re: Printermapping based on Client IP address not working anymore
            Rookie

Hi Joeh, Thanks for your suggestion/assistance. Learning curve still quit steep but I think the agent is looking at the IP of the RDS server instead of the initiating (thin-) client: some log says "Comparing IP address xxxx (being RDS server) with IP range xxx" (target subnet) then claiming "MATCH... condition not satisfied" so that will be the reason that printers aren't being mapped.

Still strange because those settings/conditions used to work perfectly for more than a year. maybe this has to do with upgrade EM 8.6 to 10.1?

Thanks anyway, I will see what happens with allready submitted ticket and let you know.

Cheers, Sander.