11 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2010 8:29 AM by JDarrah

Possible to "install" OS instead of "restore"?

Employee

Dear All,

I found lots of articles in the forum talks about how we image a system and then deploy the image to a new machine.

Is it possible to do a mass OS networked installation (from the original OS installation media instead of a specific image, I am looking for a OS install instead of image deployment) and run some sort of post installation configuration to configure the computer name, IP address of each system differently?

Thanks and regards,

Winnie

• 1. Re: Possible to "install" OS instead of "restore"?
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

What you're describing is generally referred to as an "unattended install" - and this is going to be "a lot of fun" (read: "a lot of work") if you REALLY want to script this to be unique for each machine (and you'll have to script it, since you'll need to include logic to read out a CSV or what not, to get a list of unique hostnames).

Generally, the "automatic name implant" works best in a SYSPREP-based image, but "in theory" it's possible to do this for an unattended install, though unattended installs have their own problems.

So "in theory" it's possible (you'd need to get clever with scripts and batches though). The question you should ask instead is whether "it is worth the effort" (which is only something you can answer).

At the end of the day, anything that can be scripted, you can include in OSD / Provisioning.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Possible to "install" OS instead of "restore"?
            Employee

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I was just checking if there is "OOTB" function for the mass OS deployment as mentioned. I think you just gave me a clear answer.

In this case, I will focus on how to create some a "straight forward" SYSPREP image first, would you point me to the document for LANDesk OSD working with SYSPREP? Many thanks.

Thanks and regards,

Winnie

• 3. Re: Possible to "install" OS instead of "restore"?
              Apprentice

If I understood, you need to customize workstations at the end of provisioning, right?

Well, you can create an action that download and lauch sysprep (no minisetup). This will reboot the machine and ask for anything would not be specified in sysprep.inf (like name, network configuration and so on...)

HTH,

Jary

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Possible to "install" OS instead of "restore"?
                Employee

Hi Jary,

Yes. That is what I want. Is that what I need to do?

1. Create SYSPREP image

2. Restore SYSPREP image at target OS

3. launch SYSPREP at the target workstation

4. Manual answer the SYSPREP configuration missed in the inf.

If so, I have got a few questions,

1. Should the SYSPREP be called in post-installation or other steps?

2. That means the administrator need to visit the target workstation and input the necessary parameter, right?

3. If Windows license key is not input in the inf during install, will the installation be able to go on? (in case the license key is different from machine to machine and need to be input at the last step)

Many thanks!

Thanks and regards,

Winnie

• 5. Re: Possible to "install" OS instead of "restore"?
                  Apprentice

Hi Winnie,

>1. Should the SYSPREP be called in post-installation or other steps?

That's a way. Maybe it's better that you capture image after sysprep and before reboot.

>2. That means the administrator need to visit the target workstation and input the necessary parameter, right?

Right. You can also use bare metal and insert informations BEFORE tha task starts. This automates the process.

>3. If Windows license key is not input in the inf during install, will the installation be able to go on? (in case the license key is different from machine to machine and need to be input at the last step)

Installation stops if a key is not provided. Just like (2) I suggest you to create a bare metal machine, insert an  inventory data (call it WindowsPK) and use in sysprep.inf a database variable (in case %ProductKey% if you define a variable ProductKey="Computers"."WindowsPK"). Using this method, wherever this value is not specified Windows would prompt for it.

Finally the question is: why you want to customize it at the end? OEM-related issues?

Maybe you should read Jan Buelens' documents about imaging and manual for variables usage.

HTH,

Jary
                  • 6. Re: Possible to "install" OS instead of "restore"?
                    Apprentice

>Maybe you should read Jan Buelens' documents about imaging and manual for variables usage.

... or try to ask it to your LANDesk ESP

• 7. Re: Possible to "install" OS instead of "restore"?
                      Employee

Thanks Jary. I will consult more document.

The reason I ask about key is that there maybe some "retail" version of Windows, the key is unique for each machine. I will check what I can do with the bare metal installation. Thanks.

• 8. Re: Possible to "install" OS instead of "restore"?
                        Apprentice

There are many ways to implement it.

When a customer ask me something different from bare metal, I usually add HTA support to my WinPE (see Jan's Docs) to build a GUI that asks for needed informations at startup.

Using miniscan I send data to inventory and variable to compile sysprep.

Remind that you need to activate your Windows. You can use sysprep to configure proxy (if needed) and there are a lot of scripts to automate activation if MS internet site is reachable.

Bye,

Jary

• 9. Re: Possible to "install" OS instead of "restore"?
                          Apprentice

@ Jary,

We're looking to add hta support here.  I scoured Jan's docs but couldn't find the one to add hta support.  Could you maybe point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Jason

• 10. Re: Possible to "install" OS instead of "restore"?
                            Apprentice

Try this that should be inserted in your startnet script.

You need to copy needed files into your system32 folder.

Take a look here for similar things.

http://www.droppedpackets.org/osd/Create%20a%20WinPE%202.pdf/view

http://www.droppedpackets.org/osd/vbscript-in-winpe/?searchterm=winpe

http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1831

HTH,

Jary

ECHO.
                            ECHO Please wait during the installation of Windows Scripting Host files...
                            ECHO
                            ECHO.
                            ECHO Install of WSH Extentions
                            ECHO.

REM - INSTALL WSH COMPONENTS
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\jscript.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\scrobj.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\scrrun.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\vbscript.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\wshext.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\wshom.ocx /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\mlang.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\urlmon.dll /S
                            ECHO.
                            ECHO Install file association for WSH
                            ECHO.
                            %SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 WSH.inf
                            ECHO.
                            ECHO Install HTA components support
                            ECHO.
                            %SystemRoot%\System32\mshta.exe /register
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\asctrls.ocx /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\plugin.ocx /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\atl.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\corpol.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\cryptdlg.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\ddrawex.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\dispex.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\dxtmsft.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\dxtrans.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\hlink.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\iedkcs32.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\iepeers.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\iesetup.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\imgutil.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\inseng.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\itircl.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\itss.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\licmgr10.dll /S
                            %SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection reg 132 mshtml.inf
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\mshtmled.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\msrating.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\mstime.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\olepro32.dll /S
                            Regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\sendmail.dll /S
                            ECHO.
                            ECHO Install file association for HTA
                            ECHO.
                            %SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 HTA.inf
                            ECHO.
                            ECHO Install of ADO Extentions
                            ECHO.
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc\msadce.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc\msadcf.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc\msadco.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc\msadds.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msado15.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msadomd.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msador15.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msadoX.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msadrh15.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\msdadc.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\msdaenum.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\msdaer.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\msdaora.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\msdaosp.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc\msdarem.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\msdasc.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\msdasql.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\msdatt.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\msdaurl.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc\msdfmap.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msjro.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\msorcl32.dll /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\msxactps.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\odbcconf.dll /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\oledb32.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\oledb32r.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\sqloledb.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemDrive%"\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\sqlxmlx.dll" /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\CLBCATQ.DLL /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\colbact.DLL /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\comsvcs.dll /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\MSCTF.dll /S
                            regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\ole32.dll /S
                            • 11. Re: Possible to "install" OS instead of "restore"?
                              Apprentice

Thanks!  We'll try this out.