1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 5:04 PM by ahe

Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution

Apprentice

I have not had much luck with Software Distribution.  It always seems that I send out a job only to see about 70% of the machines fail.  I know each job is different, but I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong.  I have been working on deploying a package for Rate Assessor by EMB.  This is an insurance industry application.  I setup 2 distribution packages.  One is a .exe and the other is a batch file.

The EXE job is running:   \\landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.exe

this is in the command line options: /s /v/qb-!

I added the additional files which includes the setup.iss

The BATCH job runs next and is running:  \\landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\ra23_inventory.bat

Both Jobs run under a single Policy scheduled task with the local system account.

We are on 8.8 SP3.

Here are the contents of my batch file:

@echo off

REM SetACL to open up the data directory for Rate Assessor DBs to all users

copy \\landesk2\landesk$\SetACL\SetACL.exe C:\LDPackages\SetACL

C:\LDPackages\SetACL\SetACL.exe -on "C:\Program Files\EMB\Rate Assessor\Data" -ot file -actn ace -ace "n:users;p:change;i:so,sc"

REM Create the Registry key for Landesk Inventory
      > "%temp%\ra23.reg" ECHO Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
      >> "%temp%\ra23.reg" ECHO.
      >> "%temp%\ra23.reg" ECHO [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\Iventory\Custom Fields]
      >> "%temp%\ra23.reg" ECHO "ra23"=dword:1

REM Adding Landesk Inventory Registry Entry to Registry

regedit.exe /s "%temp%\ra23.reg"

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\LDIScn32.EXE" /NTT=LANDESK2:5007 /S=LANDESK2 /I=HTTP://LANDESK2/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /NOUI /NOCD /sync /f

Can anyone tell me what might be going on when I deploy this?  I am getting failed messages for each machine.  So far, the machines are returning a result of "Software distribution task has been started" with a status of "Failed"

• 1. Re: Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution
          Apprentice

This is the very bottom of the Sdclient-taskxxx.log file for one of the machines that failed.

Downloading file \\landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.log (kzs7jxzeq076g5OSaRBQoQ==, 7)
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:18 Downloading file 61 of 61 from '\\landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.log'
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:18 Checking recently used server path \\Landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.log instead of \\landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.log
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:18 Path \\landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.log was redirected to \\Landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.log
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:18 Download of '\\landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.log' was redirected to '\\Landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.log'
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:18 Core name 'LANDESK2:10.107.0.229' obtained from active task list
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:18 Sending task status, cmd line -coreandip=LANDESK2:10.107.0.229 -taskid=237 -retcode=229392397 "-ldap=CN=Laue0314,OU=Standard,OU=User-Accounts,DC=mid7000nt,DC=mlan"
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:18 LSWD or Executable Client Thread
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:18 PackagePath:  [\\landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.exe]
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:18 Checking recently used server path \\Landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.exe instead of \\landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.exe
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:18 Path \\landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.exe was redirected to \\Landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.exe
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:18 Download of '\\landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.exe' was redirected to '\\Landesk2\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.exe'
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:18 Processing generic executable
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:30 Launched application 'C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.exe' ('/s /v/qb-!') result -1
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:30 Installation result FFFFFFFF
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:34 Core name 'LANDESK2:10.107.0.229' obtained from active task list
          Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:34 Sending task status, cmd line -coreandip=LANDESK2:10.107.0.229 -taskid=237 -retcode=-1 -complete "-ldap=CN=Laue0314,OU=Standard,OU=User-Accounts,DC=mid7000nt,DC=mlan" "-log=sdclient_task237"

• 2. Re: Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution
            ahe Expert

Hello Jeff,

some questions:

• Are you sure that the UNC path is reachable? You need a check
            • Are you sure that your copy command works?
            • Do you use older OS as Windows XP? Otherwise, use reg.exe instead of regedit...

I would add some more logging in your batch...

I prefer xcopy instead of copy in a batch file with the following parameters:

set "logfile=%temp%\RateAssessorInst.log"
            set "errlogfile=%temp%\ErrRateAssessorInst.log"

if exist \\landesk2\landesk$\SetACL\SetACL.exe goto TOOLCOPY
            goto ERR5

:TOOLCOPY
            xcopy /S /E /R /Y \\landesk2\landesk$\SetACL\SetACL.exe C:\LDPackages\SetACL
            if errorlevel=4 goto :ERR4_XCOPY
            if errorlevel=3 goto :ERR3_XCOPY
            if errorlevel=2 goto :ERR2_XCOPY
            if errorlevel=1 goto :ERR1_XCOPY
            if errorlevel=0 (
                echo SetACL copied successful entry >>%logfile%
                goto :INST
            )
            goto END

:INST

. . .
            set err=0
            goto END

REM *****************************  XCOPY-Errors  ************************************
            :ERR1_XCOPY
            echo %computername%; No files to copy found! >>%errlogfile%
            set err=1
            goto END

:ERR2_XCOPY
            echo %computername%; User break with STRG+C! >>%errlogfile%
            set err=2
            goto END

:ERR3_XCOPY
            echo %computername%; Initialization error, not enough memory or wrong drive or wrong syntax! >>%errlogfile%
            set err=3
            goto END

:ERR4_XCOPY
            echo %computername%; Error during write process! >>%errlogfile%
            set err=4
            goto END

:ERR5
            echo %computername%; File on network path or netword does not exist! >>%errlogfile%
            set err=5
            REM *********************************************************************************

:END
            exit %err%

Do you know this document: About Batch File Distribution Packages

Regards

Axel

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution
              Apprentice

the UNC path seems to work, but the SetACL is finishing with errors.

If I try to use my HTTP share, even with quotes, it says "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect".  0 files copied.

the copy command was working, but maybe I'll try the Xcopy like you suggest.

We are still using Windows XP, so is Regedit OK then?

• 4. Re: Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution
                zman Master
                Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:00:30 Launched application 'C:\Program
                Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.exe'
                ('/s /v/qb-!') result -1

This is your failure.  So one thing that I would try is to simply the process:

1. Sometimes Installshield's setup.exe can screw things up since it spawns other processes and then exists. LANDesk tracks the setup.exe and will say the job finished but it is still running. This is not your case but it is worth noting.  I prefer to call the straight MSI in lieu of setup, and use MSI as the package type and let delivery methods handle the UI. THis is cleaner and you will get a correct return code, without the use of any UI command lines.  If you insist on using setup.exe review this link. Note /SMS /w  switches. Also I've seen where you have to encapsulate the msi parm in quotes even though they don't contain spaces. /s /v/"qb-!"
                2. Always use log files where you can.  So specify a verbose log file for the MSI. Great Essential for troubleshooting.
                3. Does the process run outside of LANDesk?
                4. Also use the REG ADD command to simplify your batch

• 5. Re: Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution
                  ahe Expert

Hello Jeff,

I prefer reg.exe on XP (less lines :-)) (or AutoIT...)

reg.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\Iventory\Custom Fields" /V "ra23" /t REG_DWORD /D 1 /f >nul

You can check the errorlevel of your "setup.exe", start it with the parameters in the correct way ZMAN described (it's a Installshield wrapped MSI package):

start /wait "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\landesk$\EMB\RateAssessor\RateAssessor2.3.140\apps\RateAssessor\setup.exe" /s /v/"qb-!"

if %errorlevel% = 0 goto INST_OK

. . .

Here you can find a list of MS installer errors: List of error codes and error messages for Windows Installer processes

Here you can find a short description of different installer parameters:

http://unattended.sourceforge.net/installers.php

http://www.appdeploy.com/articles/

Regards

Axel

• 6. Re: Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution
                    Apprentice

Zman,

If I use the MSI, how can I specify the setup.iss file or have it use the default setup.iss file?

• 7. Re: Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution
                      Apprentice

Also, should I enable MSI verbose logging on every client in my environment?

I am looking at this link: http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2376

Is that what I need to do?

• 8. Re: Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution
                        ahe Expert

Hello Jeff.

If you use the MSI setup only, the setup.iss won't be used!

Take a look in your setup.ini file. In this file you can see the used parameters for the setup... (sometimes the MSI parameters too)

"Normally" the setup.exe checks if a setup.ini file exist in the same directory and takes the settings from it (MSI parameters, paths for the app, path and parameter for the iss or mst, logging, etc...)

But some questions:

Where came the setup.iss from? Is the file copied too? I can't find a hint in your log about the ISS or INI file...

Regards

Axel

• 9. Re: Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution
                          zman Master

If you use the MSI package type it will create a log file on it's own. Other methods of you would use /log <LogFile> (normal msi command line switch) So you create the log file via the package not on every computer. Much easier.

Not sure what is in your setup.iss but the majority of it can be controlled via a transform. You can create a transform using Insted.

• 10. Re: Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution
                            Apprentice

Axel,

I really liked the logging in the batch file.  I added my SetACL.exe job to the INST portion of the batch.   One question though, how could I setup errorlevels for this?  It's running SetACL.exe.

• 11. Re: Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution
                              Apprentice

Zman,

Downloaded Insted, and I am creating a new transform.  Not sure what I'm looking at just yet, but I'm trying to go that route.

Here is what is in my setup.iss file:

[{906FAE17-3472-4DDC-8B3F-3981F34510AA}-DlgOrder]
                              Dlg0={906FAE17-3472-4DDC-8B3F-3981F34510AA}-SdWelcome-0
                              Count=6
                              Dlg1={906FAE17-3472-4DDC-8B3F-3981F34510AA}-SdLicense-0
                              Dlg2={906FAE17-3472-4DDC-8B3F-3981F34510AA}-SdCustomerInfo-0
                              Dlg3={906FAE17-3472-4DDC-8B3F-3981F34510AA}-SdAskDestPath-0
                              Dlg4={906FAE17-3472-4DDC-8B3F-3981F34510AA}-SetupType2-0
                              Dlg5={906FAE17-3472-4DDC-8B3F-3981F34510AA}-SdFinish-0
                              [{906FAE17-3472-4DDC-8B3F-3981F34510AA}-SdWelcome-0]
                              Result=1
                              [{906FAE17-3472-4DDC-8B3F-3981F34510AA}-SdLicense-0]
                              Result=1
                              [{906FAE17-3472-4DDC-8B3F-3981F34510AA}-SdCustomerInfo-0]
                              szName=The Midland Company
                              szCompany=The Midland Company
                              nvUser=1
                              Result=1
                              [{906FAE17-3472-4DDC-8B3F-3981F34510AA}-SdAskDestPath-0]
                              szDir=C:\Program Files\EMB\Rate Assessor\
                              Result=1
                              [{906FAE17-3472-4DDC-8B3F-3981F34510AA}-SetupType2-0]
                              Result=304
                              [{906FAE17-3472-4DDC-8B3F-3981F34510AA}-SdFinish-0]
                              Result=1
                              bOpt1=0
                              bOpt2=0

How can I easily create a transform from this?

• 12. Re: Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution
                                ahe Expert

Hello Jeff,

it seems (old) SetACL has some return values. I found some informations here:

http://www.helge.mynetcologne.de/setacl/#return_code

SetACL.exe is a Win32 console program. It's actions are controlled by command line parameters. It always returns a                return code, which can be one of the following:

• 0 for successful execution
                                • 1 if usage instructions were printed (when invoked without or with erraneous arguments)
                                • 2 if an error condition occured

The current project/home page of the tool you can find here: http://setacl.sourceforge.net/html/doc-basics.html

Regards

Axel

• 13. Re: Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution
                                  ahe Expert

Hello Jeff,

it is not possible to create a transform MST file from a Installshield ISS file.

The ISS file is created (in windir) with the command line

setup.exe -r

(s. http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B922143&x=14&y=14)

The installation starts and all dialog settings and inputs are saved in the ISS file.

To create the MST file you need a tool like Insted, Orca, WISE, InstallShield, etc. (s. www.appdeploy.com for more hints) and no installation of the application will be made during creation (remember: ISS creation makes a installation)

The MSI file is loaded and analyzed by the tools and you can create a transform file to set the parameters.

Some admins write that you can change the MSI too but I think this is a dangerous method and you won't get support for this by the developer...

(For Office you can use the Custom Installation Wizard, for Acrobat Reader/Writer the Adobe Customization Wizard, etc.)

You can combine the setup.exe with the MST file too, see: http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-5926

But if you have a ISS file, I would prefer this method...

Could you post your setup.ini?

Regards

Axel

• 14. Re: Issue with 3rd Party Application Distribution
                                    Apprentice

Is there any kind of tutorial for creating transforms in InstEd?  I am creating a new transform, but I have no idea what I'm looking at.

1 2 Previous Next