6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2018 10:30 AM by nspeed

Master Incident resolved - copy status, resolution does not work

nspeed Apprentice

I am just testing the master Incident feature.

Version: 2017.2 on premise

Role: Administrator

Problem

linked incidents to a master incident dont get the same resolution or status like excplained here

Working with Master Incidents

"... For example, when you enter resolution details and set a master incident to resolved, all of the linked incidents are also set to resolved and the system adds the same resolution details to each of the linked incidents."

I activted the master incident by setting the global constant.

then I created an incident with impact high

acitivated the two option boxes for Master Incident and update related incident

save

in tab related items I linked another incident with the same service

save

changed status to resolved and added resolution and cause code

save

no changes in the linked incident

• 1. Re: Master Incident resolved - copy status, resolution does not work
          Christopher.Bakken SupportEmployee

There are a few things you can check for this.

1. Are the other incidents closed? If so, the OOTB action will not touch them.

2. The action may not be correctly configured. I found that in some cases, the actions the business rules are configured to fire for each child doesn't actually exist.

Verify it still has a valid action tied to it. If you see a RecID, then it's probably busted since it's not resolving the action name.

The documentation itself is a bit outdated as they moved away from the 'Resolution Details' tab with 2017.3. So that doesn't even normally exist anymore.

Creating the action should be simple enough. Make sure you enter all the required fields for a resolved item.

Looking at the documentation:

The system updates the fields in the linked incidents with the values that you entered for the master incident. For the linked incidents, it also adds the text ***Resolved through master incident number*** in the Resolution field on the Resolution Details tab.

$("***Resolved through master incident " +  ToString([Incident#.MasterIncident]IncidentNumber) + "***")

Edit the rule to use the new notification:

Select the action you just created:

Testing:

• 2. Re: Master Incident resolved - copy status, resolution does not work
            nspeed Apprentice

Thanks

yes you were right, I only had the id in the run for child configuration.

But if I already have linked incidents and then change the status of the master to resolved, nothing happens with the linked incidents.

It works if the master Incident is already resolved and I link new incidents.

Dont I need some trigger on the status "Resolved"?

"Update Master's Related Incidents" and "Update Master's Related Incident Resolution" trigger with IsRelatedIncidentUpdate

• 3. Re: Master Incident resolved - copy status, resolution does not work

If 'Update Related Incident' (IsRelatedIncidentUpdate) isn't checked, it wont do anything. That also has to be checked for that action to run.

• 4. Re: Master Incident resolved - copy status, resolution does not work
                nspeed Apprentice

aaaaaah

so it would only work if I set the options before saving my resolution.

But

If I have an active master incident and check the two options "Declare as Master Incdent" and "Update Related Incident"

save

link some active incidents

save

set the Master incident to Resolved and add the resolution

save

nothing happens with the linked incidents as isRelatedIncidentupdate did not change.

So that is why my idea was to trigger on the Satus. Which works for the above case but I dont konw if anything else does not work then

• 5. Re: Master Incident resolved - copy status, resolution does not work

It should be working if you fixed the quick action. The "Update Master's Related Incidents" BR suffers the same problem of no actual quickaction. It has the same trigger as the other one, sans the 'On initialize' option. These are really both set to trigger at the same time, had the quick actions actually exist.

The 'OOTB' resolution action has three conditions (both rules actually have the same triggers):

1. IsRelatedIncidentsUpdate is set to true

2. IsMasterIncident is True

3. The childfold returns more than zero for Child incidents that aren't closed.

So it doesn't even check the status of the master incident is resolved. You could always add that to the conditional clause. I'd suggest you do that so the actions are independent.

$(Status == "Resolved" && IsMasterIncident &&

ChildFold("Incident#",

RecId,

"Incident#.ChildIncident",

$("1"),

"+",

$(Status != "Closed")) >

"0")

The quickaction should actually exist as a part of the package, it seems like the ID got updated and the package never referenced the new ID.

<QuickAction FRS_ID="26dca280-c90b-4ec3-9f06-816a11969808" CLR_Type="MetaDataDefinition.Revisions.R1.UpdateObjectActionMetaData" ObjectType="Incident#" DisplayName="Copy Resolution from Master to Related Incident">

If you have an action called "Copy Resolution from Master to Related Incident," set the BR to use that action as that is the expected action. So you shouldn't need to create your own action.

Same with the other business rule...

<QuickAction FRS_ID="b29ed4ae-9bd5-4430-9037-e84253aad482" CLR_Type="MetaDataDefinition.Revisions.R1.UpdateObjectActionMetaData" ObjectType="Incident#" DisplayName="Copy from Master to Related Incidents">

• 6. Re: Master Incident resolved - copy status, resolution does not work
                    nspeed Apprentice

Thanks for your patients

It works now when I set the "update Related Incident" while writing the Resolution and then save.

I could tweak the readonly of that to become editable like the Resolution, or hide it altogether and set it to true with status Resolved.

But first I will have a look at the 2017.3 update due in march (I think)