3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2018 9:10 AM by Christopher.Bakken

Incident Assignments - Auto-suggest team based on selected CI, Reason & Location

MarkLarvo Apprentice

Good day!

Ok, I know exactly what to do if this was Excel, LOL.

BACKGROUND

In Incident we use a Reported CI and Reported Reason field. We then display the Reported CI's OwnerTeam so the Service Desk know who should probably be assigned the Incident.

• If ReportedCI = "Printer - Local" then EscalationTeam = "Technology Support".

NOW TO STEP IT UP AND PREPARE FOR AUTOMATION/SELF-SELFSERVICE.

This works until you start to look at the Reasons(issues) that people call in. Technology Support may not always be the correct escalation team.

Often the OwnerTeam of a CI is not the team that would address a particular Reported Reason(issue). This may be due to the location where the issue is occurring, the type of issue, or perhaps the size of a location and the job duties for the personnel. This can be a lot of exceptions for someone to remember.

For example, a Printer with a paper jam:

• In some locations this is handled by Technology Support.
      • In other locations the General Services addresses a paper jam.
      • That said, Technology Support handles all printer menu errors.

We need to suggest the team for the Incident Creator. Eventually incoming Self-Service Incidents will go immediately to the correct team and not need to be reviewed/relayed by the Service Desk.

SO THE DATA

• Every CI has a Owning Team
      • CI's can have many Reasons (issues) - Printer jam, Dirty prints, Menu error
      • Reasons can have many CI's - "Application Issue" applies to many of our applications

Every combination has a different Escalation Team

CIReasonLocationEscalation Team (Primary)Incident Owner Team (Escalation Team + Location) (This would be calculated not stored)

Printer - Local

Paper JamCHTechnology SupportTechnology Support - CH
      Printer - LocalPaper JamSFGeneral ServicesGeneral Services - SF
      Printer - LocalMenu errorALLTechnology SupportTechnology Support - (Users location Code)

QUESTION

What kind of logic do I need to read across multiple rows to locate the value in column? We would know the first 3 columns.

I am thinking I need a Reasons workspace tat would be maintained with all of the routing options possible. I am not clear how I would get the final answer!? Is it simply a series of cascading validation lists constrained by the prior lists?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide. This feels very complicated but hopefully is not.

Mark