3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2018 12:43 PM by Julian Wigman

How do you replace a process?

Robert.Gardner Apprentice

Landesk Service Desk 2016.2

I would like to replace a process with another one. What is the easiest way to do this?

If I want to replace process A with process B, can I rename process A to C and then rename B to A?

Will this work or is it more complicated?

• 1. Re: How do you replace a process?
          Motaz ITSMMVPGroup

What do you exactly mean by replacing? Are you looking to change the process that is currently used by an existing records (Like incidents) or do you want to change the ones that are going to be created?

Usually we just create the new process and make sure it is functioning correctly, then we deactivate the current process and activate the new one (or set it as default).

Let me know what are you exactly after so I can assist you more.

• 2. Re: How do you replace a process?
            Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

No, any transactions raised against an instance of a process continue to follow that process unless you build in the reinitialse action to your process and jump lifecycles into the same status in a different process but also in the same module.

You can still modify the existing process if it is not too radically dissimilar but you cannot save if would effectively invalidate any existing transactions; for example delete a status that live lifecycles are currently sat at.

If you activate a new version of your process and change your shortcuts etc then any new transactions will raise against the new version and old ones run out on the old instance as Motaz says.  Deactivating the old process simple means that existing lifecycles will continue to run OK but you couln’t create newcones on they old process; hey you have a “spangely” new one for new lifecycle instances! 

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do you replace a process?
              Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

A few things to be aware of when creating new process versions that are sometimes forgotten....

• Window views that link to a particar process version
              • Shortcuts
              • templates linked to processes
              • Email inbound mappings.
              • Event Manager mappings.

Remember to cover off these as well if applicable.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

1 of 1 people found this helpful