4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2018 9:10 AM by ApeMan

Update Drivers

ApeMan Apprentice

Hello,

So, I am trying to mitigate the Synaptic Vulnerability and I am getting no where fast.

I've created a distribution package but it fails.  I believe it is failing because the wrong "Latest" driver for this model of laptop was used.  Per Hp's bulletin these laptops need version 17.#.#.25 to mitigate the Synaptic debugger vulnerability.  Many of these laptops have version 19.# installed, which according to HP's bulletin is a version that is vulnerable.

So, I need to get 19 off the laptops to install 17.  Unfortunately my switches to force an install don't seem to work.  How do I remove a driver to install a different one using Landesk?

Thanks,

Matt

• 1. Re: Update Drivers
          michael.odriscoll SupportEmployee

Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting to the Ivanti Community!

Sorry that it seems no one has the answer to be able to assist you on this yet.  Did you manage to get any further information on this? Please share anything you deem useful and the community may be able to offer some help.

If not then please do consider the other ways to engage with us to get assistance:

https://community.ivanti.com/community/contact-support

• 2. Re: Update Drivers
            ApeMan Apprentice

No, but I was able to use some powershell back flips to get what I needed done.  I've been trying to close this discussion, but can't seem to find the means to do so.

• 3. Re: Update Drivers
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Heyas - sorry for spotting this only late.

I'm marking your thread as "answered" since you seem to have found what you needed.

Long story short is -- "you're relying / dependant on the vendor's installer" ... USUALLY it's a matter of running a few command lines, but this can vary (and become QUITE ugly in a few cases) dependant on driver, manufacturer and age.

Some "worst case" scenarios tend to come down to performing brain surgery with a pipe-wrench and brute-forcing the driver into obedience & hard-deleting the SOB. Not fun, but "it can happen" (still in this day & age, sadly). So very much a case of "it depends" ... USUALLY, it helps contacting the relevant OEM / manufacturer's support asking them about "how do I uninstall this thing automatically & reliably?" (one can dream), and then scripting their response up.

Can be as simple as "run a single command-line" to "funsies with Powershell" as you seem to have developed yourself.

Other than that, it's "no different" to any other software distribution package / patch job ... the devil is in the detail of getting the specific uninstall done.

Hope that helps / answers your question?

• 4. Re: Update Drivers
                ApeMan Apprentice

After finding the McAfee virus and fixing it, :-D , and giving the server a reboot every sunday night, things seem to be working fine.  I've had to get creative with this driver install by running Powershell scripts while bypassing the execution policy on the remote machine through the Distribution Package, but other than that things are working again.

Thanks,