3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2018 8:30 AM by phoffmann

    Cannot Join Domain or install Agent in Windows 10

    edchap13 Rookie

      Hello All,


      I cannot seem to get my windows 10 images to provision correctly.


      We use ImageX in our environment. When I capture the image I used Sysprep with OOBE.


      However when deploying the image, the task seems to stop at "Configuring Target OS" and stays "working". There is a cmd window that appears for a split second and then the machine reboots and loads into Windows and stops at the log in screen. Once I log in nothing happens. In our windows 7 images, the task window would appear after log in and continue running, adding to the domain and installing the agent.


      There is an LDprovisioning folder in the C drive, however when clicking any .exe the whole folder disappears.


      If I boot the machine back into PXE, it loads up the task again and finishes configuring the target OS task, then fails the "Add to domain" and "configure agent" tasks.


      Also of note, the Device name prompter does not actually change the name of the machine. The original image name is retained despite the task saying it succeeded.


      Any ideas as to what I am doing incorrectly? This same process works great with our windows 7 images, however I did not build those and the employee who did is no longer here.



        • 1. Re: Cannot Join Domain or install Agent in Windows 10
          Aaron_Day SupportEmployee



          That is weird behavior. I would start by checking the ConfigTargetOSHandler.log under SystemDrive\Windows\Temp while in WinPE before it reboots. See if there are any errors in there. It'll also be placed in this location on the Windows image if it reboots before you have a chance to look.


          This document may prove useful as well: How to troubleshoot the Configure Target OS (CTOS) Action in Provisioning Templates





          • 2. Re: Cannot Join Domain or install Agent in Windows 10
            rtrmpec Apprentice

            Have you solve this problem? We have the same behavior, but only on some computer models (Dell Precision T3600) using Windows 10 Pro 1803. Thanks!



            To be exact I do not have a domjoin problem - we join computers automatically to a specific OU based on their location, type and purpose.

            We use full agent installation to utilize the preferred servers.


            This is from test template (Wait600 and extra reboot before agent installation)


            What we checked:

            - Logs in c:\ldprovisioning - the full agent is downloaded there and executed

            - Logs in c:\programdata\landesk\log - wscfg32.log as only few entries - I am not sure what the following means

            - c:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient - has only few files in it. No significant entries in the Application log whatsoever …


            -> In our environment it really is happening on Dell T3600 model (latest BIOS) and Win 10 1803 (on LTSB 1607 it worked fine)

            -> the same agent can be installed manually on the machine (under system account, or it can be reinstalled via OSIM template with only single step )


            Any further hints for troubleshooting will be appreciated!



            • 3. Re: Cannot Join Domain or install Agent in Windows 10
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

              Common things that may help:

              • Give the system some additional reboot(s) -- that tends to help flushing out any "PendingFileRename" type issues and some / certain drivers tend to work better that way.
              • ... and then WAIT after the reboot .
              • I'd recommend installing the agent first (then rebooting the device) ... that way you can MANAGE the device in case domain join fails.
              • ... perform a final reboot before the domain join (to flush out "anything else") and do that as the very last action (in as far as possible, that is ... possible some apps may need to be installed after the domain join). This is the single most annoying thing to go awry, so having a bit of "buffer" safeguards around it (i.e. - the reboots + wait/sleep) to minimise conflicts tend to help.