9 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2018 2:06 PM by randyb1

Resetting file associations in Environment Manager 10.1

jpatr Rookie

Hello - I am new to administering Environment Manager 10.1. We have some users who are experiencing problems with file associations within certain applications, and we would like to reset this component of their profile, without resetting everything.  I'm able to navigate to the user's Personalization Analysis, and it's pretty clear how to reset/delete various components of their user profile. But I'm unclear where the 'file associations' would reside under the different Windows components - would it be 'Explorer Settings'?  I'd prefer not to use trial and error to figure it out, so any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Resetting file associations in Environment Manager 10.1
          randyb1 SupportEmployee

Clarifying questions, as this topic can be a can of worms...

1. Which Feature Release of 10.1 are you using?
          2. Is this for Windows 7 or Windows 10?
          3. Are you setting file type associations (FTAs) via policy, or allowing users to personalize them?
          • 2. Re: Resetting file associations in Environment Manager 10.1
            jpatr Rookie

Randy - thanks for the quick reply:

1. Which Feature Release of 10.1 are you using?
              1. FR2, Build 10.1.566.0
            2. Is this for Windows 7 or Windows 10?
              1. Windows 10
            3. Are you setting file type associations (FTAs) via policy, or allowing users to personalize them?
              1. I haven't been able to locate any policies setting file associations, so it appears we allow users to personalize them. Again, I'm new to this, but the screenshot below was the only thing I could find related to Default App Associations.

• 3. Re: Resetting file associations in Environment Manager 10.1
              randyb1 SupportEmployee

I forgot to ask which version of Windows 10.  So... personalizing FTAs in Windows 10 doesn't work.  You could get a few file types personalized in 1607 and earlier.  But 1703 and later have a "security feature" that prevents FTAs from being personalized.  EM can restore the settings, but Windows will detect the change and reset FTAs back to the default settings automatically.

With EM 10.1 FR4, we were able to get FTA policy to work properly for Windows 10.  This means that you can force FTAs to be specific applications, based on whatever conditions you want.  But we still can't personalize FTAs.

• 4. Re: Resetting file associations in Environment Manager 10.1
                jpatr Rookie

Hi Randy - thanks again for the reply.

I guess maybe I should rephrase my question. If a user is having issues with file associations, and we're pretty confident that resetting their profile would resolve this issue, is there a specific component that we could delete/reset within their Windows Settings, rather than using a full brute force profile reset?

• 5. Re: Resetting file associations in Environment Manager 10.1
                  randyb1 SupportEmployee

Well sure.  Just delete or restore the "Default Application Associations" WSG for that user using Personalization Analysis in the EM console, or using the PersOps (web-based) console.

• 6. Re: Resetting file associations in Environment Manager 10.1
                    jpatr Rookie

Thanks Randy - that's where I'm stuck. I don't see a 'Default Application Associations' option when I look under the Windows Settings Groups. How would I delete that option? Appreciate your patience, as I'm very new to this.

• 7. Re: Resetting file associations in Environment Manager 10.1
                      randyb1 SupportEmployee

I was just going off of the first screen shot you shared, which shows the definition of the WSG.  If you're not seeing those settings being collected for the user in question, the WSG is probably not being used (i.e. assigned to the personalization group), or someone has already deleted the settings from the user's profile.

• 8. Re: Resetting file associations in Environment Manager 10.1
                        cdinnall@njm.com Rookie

Hello Randy,

Creating a node that sets FTAs. 

The Node is located in Pre-Desktop.

We would like to set the FTA's once and then allow the user to change them if need be.

The issue we are having is that when a user logs back in it resets the FTA again. 

For example: I created an action that sets .txt to open in wordpad.

If the user changes the association to open .txt with notepad.

when the user logs back in it resets it to wordpad.

How do I get the FTAs Action to run once for each user and never run again?

• 9. Re: Resetting file associations in Environment Manager 10.1
                          randyb1 SupportEmployee

Hi [email protected]

As mentioned above, personalizing FTAs in Windows 10 doesn't work with 1703 and later.  Microsoft added a security feature to prevent roaming FTAs.

And, you can only use the policy actions to *set* FTAs in 10.1 FR4 or later.  Those EM policy actions only worked with Windows 7 in previous versions of EM.

So, your only real option is to use EM 10.1 FR4 and set FTAs on every logon for users.

To answer your last question, the way we normally approach "run-once" actions is this:

1. Verify that a "flag" doesn't exist.  The flag is typically a registry setting in HKCU.  This key should be pesonalized in the user's profile, so that the flag will roam with the user.  Ex: HKCU\Software\AppSense\RunOnceChecks
                          2. If the flag exists, we drop out of the node and do nothing.  If the flag doesn't exist, we perform the action (i.e. setting FTAs).
                          3. Create the flag (registry setting) so that it's captured and the node doesn't run next time.