3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2018 2:25 AM by katherinec

Accessing business object data via grandparent/grandchild relationship

CParke Rookie

Hi all,

I am working on initially configuring our Ivanti Service Manager system and I am having trouble understanding some aspects of business object relationships, so I'm hitting a wall trying to accomplish what I want to do. This is one example of what I'm wanting to do. I created a Site business object and added fields for physical location details such as street address, city and zip code, and technical support team responsible for that site. I then created a N:1 relationship between Department and Site to reflect that a department can only be located at one site, but there can be multiple departments at one site. I created a link field in the Department business object named SiteLink which stores the RecID of the Site record. I then created a form in the Department business object and I am able to add the Site fields via the relationship and see the Site data as expected, so that part works fine. Now, I want to save the department info in the Employee profile records, which I can do via the existing relationship between Employee and Department, but what I can't figure out is how to get the Site data, which is associated to the Department records, to the Employee form, because there's no direct relationship between Employee and Site. I tried creating a relationship between Employee and Site, but I don't get the data I want because of course there's no association between the Employee record and Site record. How can I establish that relationship between Employee and the Site data based on the Department data stored in the Employee record?

Hopefully that all makes sense.

• 1. Re: Accessing business object data via grandparent/grandchild relationship
          Kayla.Culpepper SupportEmployee

Hello!

Thanks for posting to the Ivanti Community.

Sorry that it seems no one has the answer to be able to assist you on this yet. Did you manage to get any further information on this? Please share anything you deem useful and the community may be able to offer some help.

• 2. Re: Accessing business object data via grandparent/grandchild relationship
            CParke Rookie

Nope, haven't gotten any further with this issue. I did discover when editing a list for a BO I am able to drill down and transcend multiple levels of relationships between BOs and get the data I want, but when editing a form, the editor only displays the relationships folder for the BO I'm configuring and not for any of the sub folders under the expanded relationships folder. I'm not sure why that is but that's exactly what I need to do what I want. Hopefully that makes sense. Maybe you can tell me if you know why it's designed that way.

• 3. Re: Accessing business object data via grandparent/grandchild relationship
              katherinec Apprentice

You can double up references - I've used the below in a style expression on a task grid to highlight when the parent incident is breached. You should be able to use in a label field expression on a form I think

[Incident#.TaskAssignmentAssocIncident][Frs_data_escalation_watch#.IncidentAssocResolutionEscWatch]BreachPassed

So if you wanted to show Site postcode information of the Department that your Employee belongs to on an Employee form (which is think is what you're asking?) you would use [Department#.EmployeeDeptRelationship][Site#.DepartmentSiteRelationship]PostCode