4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 2:16 AM by Markallen

How do I create a New Knowledgebase

Rookie

Sorry you might think of me as a little thick but I have been asked to look at building a knowledge base, so my question is where do I start, we are running version 7.2.3.1143 - Any help gratefully received

• 1. Re: How do I create a New Knowledgebase
          aparker Employee

Hi Mark,

Nothing thick about the question at all. It is really important to understand what you want to include and how you want to include it before you start building the knowledge base. The last thing you want to have is a useless pile of text that has no added value to anyone, and that is easily done. So where do you start? Well, broadly speaking I would consider the following things before implementing the design.

1. Who do you want to be able to access the knowledge?
          2. How do you want your user community to access the knowledge once it has been created?
          3. Where does the knowledge come from in the first place?
          4. How will the content be structured?
          5. Will anyone be reviewing the knowledge before it is included in the knowledge base?

These are very high level questions, but if you answer these, then you should be getting a clear understanding of what needs to be done at the next level of detail. I am going to assume that you only have the Core Knowledge module which allow the creation of knowledge from within the ServiceDesk application. Also, please forgive me if you feel there is an element of egg sucking going on here.

Let's consider each of those questions in a bit more detail from a product poinit of view and then you can see what else you might need to know.

1. With Core Knowledge, you can allow all users of the system to access the knowledge. Typically that would be Analysts through the console and End Users through the Portal. They would all see the same set of Knowledge as there is no segregation of knowledge with the Core module.
          2. The knowledge can actually be access via a number of routes. First there is the direct searching of the Autonomy (Verity) text base using the search module in Portal or the Knowledge Search component in Console. Second, Analysts can have background searching applied at the time that they log the call. Third, you can create a query that will search the knowledge fields within the ServiceDesk database.
          3. Knowledge is created in two ways in the Core setup. First you can do what I call the traditional form of knowledge capture, which is to designate certain attributes as knowledgeable. I woujldn't recommend this approach as you have no control of the content that gets into the text base. The second method is to use Articles. These are process driven and can be populated automatically from other processes with some process design work. The benefit here is that it is a structured piece of information that can be reviewed before it reaches the knowledge base and can also have an expiry time put on it.
          4. If you choose the Article method, you can decide what data you want to capture, so typically the OOTB has fields for describing the fault, error etc and then a field that describes the solution or workaround. You can add other fields to that using the design tools as with any other part of the product.
          5. With the Articles does come an overhead, if you so wish for someone or a group of people to review the knowledge content before it reaches the text base. Depending on your circumstances, I would recommend that you do put this in place as it really makes the quality of the knowledge far better. I would rather have fewer high quality pieces of knowledge than loads of junk that you have to sift through each time you are trying to solve something.

Hope that gives you a start point to work from.

Andy

• 2. Re: How do I create a New Knowledgebase
            Rookie
            1. Who do you want to be able to access the knowledge?
            2. How do you want your user community to access the knowledge once it has been created?
            3. Where does the knowledge come from in the first place?
            4. How will the content be structured?
            5. Will anyone be reviewing the knowledge before it is included in the knowledge base?

We are hoping to do a standard search for a Word doc or txt file

All user all knowledge

There are many docs scattered around many servers so we hope to get them into one place

Not sure at this time

Yes this will be viewed by administrators before posting

So as you can see we have the info we need to post but not the knowledge on how to set it up on touchpaper

Mark

• 3. Re: How do I create a New Knowledgebase
              aparker Employee

Hi Mark,

From what you have said, there is one very important thing you need to check. Do you have Core or Active Knowledge in your license? If you only have thye Core module, then you won'tbe able to do the remote indexing of Word and other files. This is a part of the Active Knowledge module.

Andy

• 4. Re: How do I create a New Knowledgebase
                Rookie

Thanks for you quick replay, I have just been told that we have Core and not active knowledge