1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2018 9:53 AM by Julian Wigman

Initial Assignment Automation

jpmckenna Apprentice

Good afternoon,

Our present Incident process creates an incident and by default, assigns this incident to the Service Desk. Our current goal is to be able to allow the analyst creating the incident to choose which group to assign it to on creation, and if this value is left null, then to have the incident assign to the analyst creating it. I was able to modify the InitialAssignmentGroup attribute in the Incident object in the Incident Management module to not have a default value, thus prompting the user to populate the appropriate Support Group, but when testing this change, regardless of the group that is assigned, the incident assigns to Service Desk.

Currently, the beginning of the Incident process is below (which I believe is basically OOTB):

This assignment is what assigns to the Service Desk, as far as I understand it. Is there a value type I can set this to to use the group that is set in InitialAssignmentGroup?

So, to split my post into two questions:

1. How can we keep the initial assignment group from defaulting to Service Desk, and instead assign to the chosen group?

2. If that group field is left blank, how can get get the incident to assign to the analyst who is creating the incident? I imagine this will require a decision point added into the process, I'm just not sure how to proceed from there.

Any advisement is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Initial Assignment Automation
          Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

Hi jpmckenna

From what I can see this may have started life as an OOTB workflow but you've changed it a far bit; at least from the part I can see here. Nevertheless this is the general approach.

• Create two related attributes on your Incident Business Object;  I called mine "InitialAssignmentGroup"  (drag over System>Group) and "InitialAssignmentUser"  (drag over System>User) as below

2018-04-21_08-34-51.png

• I then have a filter on each attribute to filter the lists based on setting the other.

on the InitialAssignmentUser attribute a business object filter called "Analysts by Support Group for Incident" with criteria

2018-04-21_08-45-37.png

on the InitialAssignmentGroup attribute a business object filter called "Support Group by Analysts for Incident" with criteria

2018-04-21_08-46-35.png

• Put them on the window that your Analyst uses. In fact I have NEW and UPDATE versions of my window, linked to views and I only put these on my NEW window as once the Incident is saved for the first time the Assignment is made as the fields have served their purpose. Make them both non-mandatory.  If you really want to be clever you could add a dynamic window calc to set the Group mandatory if the Analyst picks the user field first.

2018-04-21_08-39-12.png

• My process is different to yours so you'll need to adapt mine to fit but the gist is.

2018-04-21_08-49-00.png

• My "Initial Assignment Set" condition is a calculated condition.

import System

static def GetAttributeValue(Incident):

if Incident._InitialAssignmentGroup != null or Incident._InitialAssignmentUser != null:

return true

return false

2018-04-21_08-50-44.png

• The Initial assignment (left assignment in screenshot) is using Value Types and picking the two "Initial Assignment" fields respectively.

2018-04-21_08-54-02.png    

• The default when not set (right assignment in screenshot) is using Value Type Macros $CurrentUser$ and $CurrentGroup$

2018-04-21_08-57-41.png

That should be all you need.

Hope this helps and others so please mark as correct or helpful if it works for you too.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 2. Re: Initial Assignment Automation
            jpmckenna Apprentice

Hi Julian,

Thanks for this - this definitely has us on the right track. After following these steps, this is the point we've come to:

When creating a new incident, the Initial Assignment User defaults to the currently logged in user prior to saving the incident, requiring you to clear that selection before being able to choose an assignment group that that user does not belong to. Is there a way to have this trigger after saving, to avoid having to clear that selection before being able to choose a group?

Secondly, there will be niche scenarios where a technician from another team who isn't creating the incident would like the incident assigned directly to them, instead of into their team's Triage queue. As it currently stands, I can set the initial assignment group, but the users of that group do not populate. For example, in the screenshot below, I have populated "Initial Assignment Group" with "Network Communications", but cannot select any of our network techs.

• 3. Re: Initial Assignment Automation

The population of the initial assignment user is not something in the design i posted so have you got a copy ruleor something set to initialise this field on form open?

Julian

• 4. Re: Initial Assignment Automation
                jpmckenna Apprentice

Not to my knowledge, when looking at All Copy Rules for Incident Management -> Incident, none of them are relevant to user assignments.

I inserted the relevant condition you referenced with the provided calculation, and branched it off to two assignments. The left (condition = true), sets using the Value Types for the Initial Assignment User/Group, and the right (condition != true), sets using the Value Type macros for $CurrentUser$ and $CurrentGroup$.

• 5. Re: Initial Assignment Automation

...  and no copy rule targeting the “Initial Assignment User” attribute then.

WebDesk does have this habit of filling in the field for you if there is only one value.

Can you remove the filter on the Initial assignment user attribute temporarily and confirm if this stops the user from populating?  If so add the filter back and add a filter selection rule to it as well which says where ...

InitialAssignmentGroup not equal to NULL

...to see if that makes any difference. So the user filter only applies if the group is set.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 6. Re: Initial Assignment Automation

jpmckenna have you made any progress on this?

Julian

• 7. Re: Initial Assignment Automation
                      jpmckenna Apprentice

Hi Julian,

I removed the filter from the Initial Assignment User attribute and the field is still defaulting to myself.

• 8. Re: Initial Assignment Automation

jpmckenna the only other thing I can think of is that you are creating the Incident from a template and you have your name setup on that field in the template. 

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 9. Re: Initial Assignment Automation

jpmckenna is this fixed now?

• 10. Re: Initial Assignment Automation
                            jpmckenna Apprentice

Hi Julian,

What I've done at this point is remove the steps we added to the process entirely, resulting in the current process:

I also removed the filter from the Initial Assignment User attribute, resulting in the following initial assignment upon creation.

Where am I likely to find where this assignment is being dictated?

• 11. Re: Initial Assignment Automation

jpmckenna  You will be opening the process from a shortcut link. What we need to check is if that shortcut link is also specifying a Template; if so you can get the name of the template.  Then look for that Template in Template Designer in console and open it and check if the Initial Assignment User is showing your name.  If so delete it and save the Template.  Then reopen it  and see if the field is now clear.  If not I suspect you have a business object copy rule setup. Check for copy rules in Window Manager,  highlight the Incident node and select Business Object Copy Rules and check ifany are setup with this field as the target and trigger set as Initialise.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 12. Re: Initial Assignment Automation
                                jpmckenna Apprentice

Hi Julian,

I just removed and re-added the process shortcut link to verify that it is not specifying a template and am receiving the same result. The only business object copy rules are to set Location, Manager, and RequestedBy.

• 13. Re: Initial Assignment Automation

and there is not a business object filter on this field right?

All I can think of is that either the “move on“ or “complete user data” automatic actions have action instance data setup on this field.

Julian

• 14. Re: Initial Assignment Automation

Ah, scratch that last suggestion as this is on the opening window before save.

1 2 Previous Next