1 Reply Latest reply on May 8, 2018 6:45 PM by Alex.Richardson

Managing Windows Defender with LDMS/EPM?

bdwest Apprentice

We are currently using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, managed by McAfee ePO, for our anti-malware coverage on a dark (airgapped) network.  Management is considering dropping McAfee and just going with Windows Defender instead.  I've been able to download the definitions for Defender, and I assume I can deploy those definitions as well, using LDMS 2016.3.  The next question is, what other aspects of Windows Defender management can LDMS/EPM handle?  Is anyone else out there managing Windows Defender using LDMS or EPM?  What I read elsewhere says that people who use just Defender for their anti-malware naturally use SCCM for managing it.  I don't really want to be pulled into SCCM's gravity.  How much can LDMS/EPM do with this?

• 1. Re: Managing Windows Defender with LDMS/EPM?
          Alex.Richardson SSMMVPGroup

EPM can update Defender definitions, make sure its active and apply back end patches but is not a full management console for this. I would do some more research on Defender as it is not recognized as a good business grade solution by most security analysts.

The cost to add Ivanti AV to your EPM license is not much and will provide you a fully integrated solution.