5 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2018 9:04 AM by MarkKWilkes

Move Service Desk

MarkKWilkes Rookie

I currently work at an Educational Institution that uses Service Desk 7.7.1. I was told that this version is no longer supported and I am looking to upgrade. Since we have moved to a fully virtualized environment over the past 4 years, I would like to not only upgrade Service Desk, but upgrade the servers themselves. Since spinning up virtual machines is so quick and simple, I would like to setup an entirely new set of servers, Install the latest version of Service Desk and migrate, but all of the documentation points to an in place upgrade and I want to be sure of the correct steps. Our current environment is as follows:

Application Server -- Windows 2008R2

SQL Server -- Windows 2008R2/ SQL 2008R2

Web Server 2012 R2

I would like to spin up 2 new Windows 2016 servers for the App and Web Servers as well as migrate the database to an SQL cluster I created last year (2012R2/ SQL 2016).

I should also point out that we have the LANDESK Core product, which I upgraded in a similar fashion last year, that Service Desk already imports data from. I tested pointing the Service Desk to the new LD Core database and did a test import successfully. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Move Service Desk
          Motaz ITSMMVPGroup

MarkKWilkes, you CANNOT go directly into the latest version since you are on 7.7.1. Usually we upgrade the Service Desk to version 7.8.3 and do an MDM upgrade (From Configuration Center you click Upgrade next to the framework). Then you can upgrade into version 2017.3 or the newest 2018.1. Make sure to backup your servers and databases prior doing any upgrades.

If you want my suggestion since you are setting up a whole new environment then backup your current database and restore it into the new server (offline) then install Service Desk version 7.8.3 and do an MDM upgrade. Once this is done and completed successfully, do in place upgrade to version 2017.3 or 2018.1 (Just confirm with the support team if you can go from 7.8.3 to 2018.1 - As I didn't test that yet but I confirm it works from 7.8.3 to 2017.3).

Assuming that everything went well *hopefully* then check all of the services that were running in your previous setup, like inbound/outbound emails and data imports and make sure they are configured correctly in your new setup.

Motaz
          TjDeeD Technology

• 2. Re: Move Service Desk
            Motaz ITSMMVPGroup

MarkKWilkes, did you find an answer for your question?

• 3. Re: Move Service Desk
              MarkKWilkes Rookie

Do you know where I could get v7.8.3? It looks like I could only download the most current version on the portal.

• 4. Re: Move Service Desk
                KRYS-GROUP Apprentice

Hi Mark,

Yes unfortunately there is only last version on Ivanti website.

But I have a backup of 7.8.3 version with also OOTB database.

Give me your email address and I can send it to you via WeTransfer

Laurent Dané

KRYS-GROUP

laurent.dane  krys-group.com  (just add @ between my name and my company)