4 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2018 12:06 PM by _Mel_

Software Policy assigned to Users, package gets removed if I login as local administrator

JHammo Apprentice

Hi everyone    I'm assigning a few software policies to a group of users, and I'm assigning it to the "current computer", screen shot below. This has worked fine so far, but what I'm noticing is if I login as the local administrator on the same computer, the DSM client removes the software packages that were installed for the targeted users.  Example:  If I deployed WebEx to a group of users and the sofware was installed on workstation, and I login as the local administrator.  The WebEx software package will be removed, and then when I login back in as the target user the application will get re-installed.

Does anyone know how to stop this type of activity?

software assignment - user.PNG

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

• 1. Re: Software Policy assigned to Users, package gets removed if I login as local administrator
          _Mel_ Master

Don't start the Agent for administrators

That's easy to do if you start the agent via login script

If you are using the run key then it's more difficult as you then can't prevent the start of the agent for individual users

you could abort the autoinstaller in the on installer start job, but then the service installer will do the uninstallation if it runs before the target user logs in again

you could try to change the autoinsert rule for users in a way that prevents creation of user objects for the admins

but if there is a fixed relationship between users and computers i would recommend to maintain this relationship in DSM and assign the software to the associated computer of a user - the "current user" policies make more sense if you want the uninstallation when a different user logs in; e.g. if users are using a computer pool and only the required software should be installed.

• 2. Re: Software Policy assigned to Users, package gets removed if I login as local administrator
            JHammo Apprentice

looks like I found the answer in the DSM Netinstall.chm document.  Looks like I will have to change the policy to computers that the user is associated to.

dsm computer user logs into.PNG

Hopefully this helps someone else..
            Jason Hammond

• 3. Re: Software Policy assigned to Users, package gets removed if I login as local administrator
              Nico Schmidtbauer Apprentice

A quick question here... couldn't this behavior be influenced by Setting the Option "AutoInstaller installs packages for included users only" in the infrastructure?

I'd ask since I still have one 2015.1 DSM Environment that needs an upgrade, where Software is assigned to Usergroups as Software Shop policies. I'm a bit affraid uninstalltions will happen after a DSM upgrade if a different user logs on.

• 4. Re: Software Policy assigned to Users, package gets removed if I login as local administrator
                _Mel_ Master

this setting is for the following scenario:

software is assigned to a computer with an include for an user group

autoinstaller runs on a computer where the software should be installed for a user that is not in this user group

this setting selects between two options

if "on": autoinstaller will not install the package (but will also not uninstall it if it's already installed) - this is e.g. to prevent that a user has to endure a long installation of a software he won't get an user part for.

if "off": autoinstaller will install the package - this is for the case that the administrator wants to get the computer compliant asap no matter who is logged on