9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 10:55 AM by Jared Barneck Branched to a new discussion.

Pushing via gateway not possible. True?

Apprentice

The document states that any communication between the core server and the client through the gateway must be initiated by the client. I just want to verify, is it true that there is no way to push to managed clients connected via the gateway managent appliance initiated by the core server?

• 1. Re: Pushing via gateway not possible. True?
          zman Master

Correct pushes will not work, required/optional policies will work. A policy supported push will fail the push part but should work when it converts to a required policy.

• 2. Re: Pushing via gateway not possible. True?
            sriley SupportEmployee

Yes, this is true. You will need to run everthing as a policy.

• 3. Re: Pushing via gateway not possible. True?
              Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

If you think about the technology, the reason it is client side initiated only is obvious.

If a user is traveling and in a hotel or a even visiting another company, connects the laptop up, how would the Core or Gateway be able to send traffic to him.  He doesn't have a public IP address, there is no way to initiate traffic with this computer.

The only direction traffic can travel is from the computer out to the internet.  To a hotel or other location is not going to allow an connection attempts coming in.

• 4. Re: Pushing via gateway not possible. True?
                Apprentice

So now I'm confused. Here is a response from Landesk:

Hi Eric,

The remote control functionality must be initiated by the user just because LANDesk doesn’t want to maintain a constant connection to each user. All of the other functionality like software distribution, patch management, inventory capture, etc can be done without any end user interaction.

• 5. Re: Pushing via gateway not possible. True?
                  sriley SupportEmployee

Everything except for remote control can be done without interaction from the user. The Inventory and the Vulnerability scans kick off automatically and communicate to the core through the gateway. Any software distribution that you want to do needs to be done from the core, but you will need to do it with a policy. Then when the client machine checks to see if there is any policies available it will install that software, but it is still a pull from the core, and not a push to the client....If that makes sense.

• 6. Re: Pushing via gateway not possible. True?
                    Apprentice

Ahhh. I understand now. So it is possible to schedule a package under a policy and the moment the client computer connects to the internet (lets say in a hotel) it contacts the gateway which then it will see that there is a policy update, it will pull whatever it is down from the core without any user interaction. Is that correct?

• 7. Re: Pushing via gateway not possible. True?

Brenden,

I edited you post. Please don't put someone elses contact information in a post on the community.  Please only put the snippets necessary.

Now, I am confused about how can you be confused after the explanation I gave you earlier.

1. The client must initiate all traffic when it is out somewhere.  The Core or Gateway have no idea where the client is, nor could they contact it even if they did.  The client must do the contacting.

2. Just because it has to be initiated from the client, doesn't mean a user has to do it.  We have a wonderful tool called Local Scheduler and the client can send inventory, check in for policies, run vulnerability scans, update AV, all without user interaction.

Remote Control requires user interaction because it has to connect to the gateway.  Then a remote control user has to connect to the gateway, see the computer that is connected and control it.  But if you want, you could use Jack Coates Autogateway tool (found be searching this community) and set RC up to auto connect too and eliminate all user interaction.

• 8. Re: Pushing via gateway not possible. True?
                        Apprentice

I understand now. Thanks all for help. And my apologies about the contact on my previous post. Totally unintentional.

• 9. Re: Pushing via gateway not possible. True?

No worries.  That is what moderators are for.

We appreciate that you are using and contributing the community.