3 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2018 2:46 AM by FrankScholer

Escript, determine Unique ID of the software package

JHammo Apprentice

Is there a way in escript to determine the Unique ID of the software package, it should come across as Unique number like "{FD108501-C63A-4BFB-A02A-E530351A0850}".   I'm wanting to cross check this against a registry value that's created once an application is installed, it writes the same value to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NetSupport\NetInstall\Installed Apps\"

thanks

Jason

• 1. Re: Escript, determine Unique ID of the software package
          Nico Schmidtbauer Apprentice

Jason, if you check the Software package's property tab (directly in the DSMC, not in the packaging workbench), you can right click a property and select "Show Definition".

In the following window you can see easily see how that property can be accessed as variable. In your example: %CurrentPackage.Object.UniqueId%

• 2. Re: Escript, determine Unique ID of the software package
            JHammo Apprentice

thanks for that, that opens a whole new set of things that I can do.  Do you have any recommendations for testing escript packages without doing a full deployment?   I would like to be able to run the script and validate variables, with message boxes, etc before I have to publish.

Jason

• 3. Re: Escript, determine Unique ID of the software package
              FrankScholer Master

Hi Jason,

Do you have any recommendations for testing escript packages without doing a full deployment? I would like to be able to run the script and validate variables, with message boxes, etc before I have to publish.

The first and simplest thing is to start the DSMC on the client you want to test on. Select the package you want to test and press F7, which is usually the first and fastest test, but as no full client synch is performed before, these tests may not always be successful...

The next thing is to define test-computers in the infrastructure view (ORG › Properties › Define Test Computers) . Those test-computers access the WORK-directory of the depot instead of the INSTALL-directory and so you don't have to wait for the package distribution to be completed.

Finally you can assign packages to regular clients before releasing the package through a pilot installation...

Also see online-help "Software Lifecycle (Packages) › Tasks › Managing Software › Testing Packages"

HTH, Frank