3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2018 9:33 AM by GreggSmith

Service Now Connectivity Issue

vamseekp Apprentice

I've successfully installed the ServiceNow ODBC driver and also configured it. Able to connect to the ServiceNow database using the Interact SQL command line. 

After creating a View, when tried to test the connection it's throwing the following error:

Is there any way to resolve this issue or am I missing anything in the configuration part?

• 1. Re: Service Now Connectivity Issue
          GreggSmith SupportEmployee

Are you trying to create your own mapping to ServiceNow, or are you attempting to configure Ivanti's ServiceNow connector?

I don't know how responsive real-time dashboards will be when querying over the Internet and through web services (how the ServiceNow ODBC driver works).  We originally created our ServiceNow adapter that way and were not impressed with the performance, so the Ivanti solution is to use the ODBC driver to sync the data to a local database and report off of that local data.  The local copy is typically 5-10 minutes old.

"ServiceNow (ODBC)" is in the database list as a result of that original attempt to map Xtraction directly against the cloud data.  It is very possible that performance has improved for that method, or you are willing to accept whatever performance is realized, so I'm not saying you shouldn't try.

However, since I always assist with the setup of our "sync" version of the SNOW adapter, I'm not sure of the specific configuration or debug steps for mapping directly against SNOW/ODBC.  I would suggest opening a support ticket for this.  The support person assigned to the ticket probably won't know anything about this and they'll need to get development (and/or myself) involved.

Gregg

• 2. Re: Service Now Connectivity Issue
            vamseekp Apprentice

HI Gregg,

I'm still trying this. Successfully established a connection with SNOW.

After this connection, created a view and a table.

After creating the table when I try to populate it using the Add(Database Lookup) option, the following error message is displayed:

Is the process which i followed correct? Or I missed anything here? Please let me know

• 3. Re: Service Now Connectivity Issue
              GreggSmith SupportEmployee

The way the Add Field (Database Lookup) works is that the Data Model Editor (DME) queries the system tables of the database for a list of fields found in the table and then displays an alphabetical list of those fields for you to choose from.  Since the name and contents of those system tables varies from one database platform to another (MSSQL, Oracle, etc.), the code behind that feature in the DME is specific to each database platform.

Based on the error message, I would guess that the code for querying the system tables of the "ServiceNow" database platform was not implemented, and therefore the functionality is not available.  You can still use the Add Field option.  That just means that you have to enter in all of the values in the various fields.  You will have to use other means of querying ServiceNow to determine what fields exist in each table.

I would suggest opening a support case about the ServiceNow Add Field (Database Lookup) issue to see if we can get Development to implement that.  However, given all of the other demands on Development, the fact that our official ServiceNow offering does not use this feature (it is really a "left-over" from our first effort at a ServiceNow solution), and the missing functionality is not preventing you from mapping the fields (you can use Add instead of Add/Lookup), I fully expect this to be a low-priority item that will take quite some time to address, if ever.  Of course, that is just my opinion and I could be totally wrong.  I just don't want you to get your hopes up that it will be added in the next release.

If you need help determining the fields that are in a ServiceNow table, let me know.

Thanks,

Gregg

1 of 1 people found this helpful