2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2018 5:27 AM by ld-givaudan

Some *.exe file details not updated by Inventory scan

Apprentice

Hello all,

We have an issue that some items in Computer.Software.Package.xxx are not updated after full sync scan. For example: I have a new "file.exe" in program files (File Version 7500.2.4.8960). After full sync scan the inventory still shows the file (correct path etc.) but the file version remains 7400.3.9.8957. Other details seem to be updated, like File Date etc. It is the version and also the File Size attribute which is definitely wrong.

Any tips for troubleshooting this issue?

Best Regards,

Patryk

• 1. Re: Some *.exe file details not updated by Inventory scan
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Careful about which information you're looking at. Sometimes installers leave quite a bit of garbage / don't actually update items.

This is primarily an issue for the ADD/REMOVE sections of inventory. So say for instance this section:

Software - Add or Remove Programs - Program - (Name:VMware Tools) - Version =10.1.6.5214329

Software - Add or Remove Programs - Program - (Name:VMware Tools) - Publisher =VMware, Inc.

Software - Add or Remove Programs - Program - (Name:VMware Tools) - Product ID =Unknown

Software - Add or Remove Programs - Program - (Name:VMware Tools) - Registered Company =Unknown

Software - Add or Remove Programs - Program - (Name:VMware Tools) - Registered Owner =Unknown

Software - Add or Remove Programs - Program - (Name:VMware Tools) - Install Date =20170601

... relies on the stuff in there.

Now, you don't look there, you look under PACKAGE, which does check files, such as the following:

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - Version =10.0.15063.0 {WinBuild.160101.0800}

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - File Size =105888

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - Name =Boot Sector Manipulation Tool

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - Vendor =Microsoft Corporation

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - File Date =1489819914

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - MSDOS Name =BOOTSECT.EXE

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - Attribute Read Only =No

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - Attribute System =No

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - Attribute Hidden =No

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - Original Filename =bootsect.exe

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - Company Name =Microsoft Corporation

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - File Description =Boot Sector Manipulation Tool

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - Internal Name =bootsect.exe

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - Copyright =© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - Product Name =Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - Product Version =10.0.15063.0

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - Digitally Signed =Yes

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - Digital Signature Signer =Microsoft Windows

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - MD5 Hash =2ACFF5CF090ED5851E928B8FA2FA1E06

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - SHA1 Hash =4C890C12152F0CC9C5634AD20FD79AED7924BFDD

Software - Package - (Path:C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\BOOT\BOOTSECT.EXE) - SHA256 Hash =60BD91A22C9FA67322786B53B5CD3F61007B3089F2C5FB3E614B9D8A102CC80D

Now, there's a couple of "gotchas" I think that you have run afoul of:

• You may not have forced a software scan ("/F"). By default we'll only scan for software 1x / day (so as not to hammer the disk needlessly). Be sure to include a "/F /SYNC" when calling LDISCN32 on your client device for testing purposes. That's the MOST LIKELY option I suspect.
          • You may be running an old inventory scanner that may need updating? Not sure what version (major/minor / service update) you're on, but generally "when having issues with inventory" one of the best pieces of advise is to check with support for the latest service update for your version. The Inventory scanner gets consistent updates & fixes in virtually every released update, and potentially your issues may be resolved there.

I don't think that's super-applicable in this case, but never hurts.
          • Finally - and this is pretty rare - you can get tripped up by "bad files" (files with bad headers). I've seen that only rarely, but it DOES happen (kept ahold of such a file, which for instance had a completely broken version string). If that's the case, that should be a simple case of opening a call with support, giving them the relevant software/version to install (so we can duplicate the issue), and they can troubleshoot from there (again, broken file headers - while rare - CAN happen).

... that should be the most likely scenarios, I think.

• 2. Re: Some *.exe file details not updated by Inventory scan
            Apprentice

Thank You for replying

-As for the first, most likely, option: I have indeed used the /f /sync switches and I have the updated the file some weeks ago so it should definitely be visible in the inventory by now.

-Version 10.1.0.168. Update is planned for this year but it's not something we can just do right away.

-I have a bi-weekly call with a TRM from Ivanti so I can bring this up on the next meeting.

Anyway, thanks for your help & please let me know if anything else comes to your mind in the meantime