10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2015 12:12 PM by JonnyB

Computer Location Field: LDAP Path not updating?

Apprentice

I leave the computer location field empty on our agent configuration so that the AD LDAP path poulates that field.

However, after moving some PCs to different OUs recently, even after manually forcing a /F /SYNC scan on the machines in question, their Computer Location (ldap path) details have not updated.

Q1 Does this field not update automatically?

Q2 How can i force an update?  I notice on occasion (whether initial client install of scan i a mnot sure) there is the process ldapwhoami.exe which seems a likely candidate - how do i use it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Computer Location Field: LDAP Path not updating?
          zman Master

1. Yes it should update. One thing to check is to make sure the computer knows it has been moved. I would run gpresult | more to ensure that machine is reporting the correct machine OU.

2. Also running ldapwhoami should show the current user and machine ldap information.

If they are both reporting the new OU there may be an issue. What version of LANDesk/SP are you running?  if it is showing the new OU, and the inventory scans are not erroring out, you could try to run a inventory scan with /sync switch.

• 2. Re: Computer Location Field: LDAP Path not updating?
            Apprentice

Thanks for your reply dave

I have run the Group Policy Results on this PC and it shows it is in the new/updated OU, so does running the ldapwhoami.exe on the client.

I have then run a full /F /SYNC scan on the client, but the changes have not appeared in the DB.

I have checked the inventory service on the core is fine.

This doesnt appear to be just the problem with this PC, and of the 30 or so machines that i moved recently are taking days/weeks for the changes to show up in the DB??

Any ideas?  Its really important i can see these changes as we use the computer location for reporting!

PS We are using 8.8 SP2 with all the patches.

• 3. Re: Computer Location Field: LDAP Path not updating?
              zman Master

Mike,

So as long as the inventory record is being updated this is an issue. I would grab a copy of ldiscn32 from SP3 and run it on a machine with a issue and see if it works. If not I would open up a case. There are numerous SP2 post hotfixes.

• 4. Re: Computer Location Field: LDAP Path not updating?
                Apprentice

"I would grab a copy of ldiscn32 from SP3 and run it on a machine with a issue and see if it works"

Tried that - the inventory scan updated, but the computer location did not.

I ran a scan with the switch /O=C:\LDScan.scn and the Computer Location path was wrong.

It is very strange that it has *eventually* update on the other machines?

I will log a call with LD.

• 5. Re: Computer Location Field: LDAP Path not updating?
                  Rookie

Is there already a solution, because we also got this problem. We are running landesk 8.8 Sp2

• 6. Re: Computer Location Field: LDAP Path not updating?
                    phoffmann SupportEmployee

Martjin,

if this should prove to be a bug (I'll cautiously assume for now that it will be one), only a hotfix for SP3 will be created. So in order to apply it, you'd need to be on SP3.

===

As for this issue - one thing to look at ... bear in mind the user context (that the Inventory Scanner is started in). This is important, as that's who we will launch LDAPWHOAMI.EXE as.

If you're curious, you could run the exe by hand, and check whether we can resolve the information (you can just call it from a CMD-window, no parameters are needed). It's possible that we run into some problems trying to pull this data from the AD (I've seen this sort of thing happen, VERY rarely, in the past) ... in which case, a closer look at the DC's would need to be had. It's possible that they're too busy with stuff and simply don't get around to responding to the requests in time for the timeout to happen (remember, LDAP queries get treated as lowest priority by the DC's).

Certainly not something that seems to be broadly affected, or at least not noticed, potentially (which isn't the same).

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 7. Re: Computer Location Field: LDAP Path not updating?
                      Apprentice

I know this is a very old thread - but in relation to LDMS 9.5 SP2 - is there a way to force the LDAP location to update?

I'm running into a similar issue where the LDAP location is still reporting an old location.  When running ldapwhoami.exe - the proper location shows up, but inventory scans don't update.

• 8. Re: Computer Location Field: LDAP Path not updating?
                        JonnyB SupportEmployee

You should be able to run a sync scan, ldiscn32.exe /ntt=CORE /f /sync /v

• 9. Re: Computer Location Field: LDAP Path not updating?
                          Apprentice

Tried that already.  No dice 

• 10. Re: Computer Location Field: LDAP Path not updating?
                            JonnyB SupportEmployee

Can you get an output scan and then the  results of the ldapwhoami command and attach them?