3 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2018 11:51 AM by phoffmann

Can I shorten the OS Name in Inventory?

bdwest Apprentice

When I display the Computer.OS.Name in query results, it displays the long name of the operating system.  We're all Windows, so unfortunately the left part of the column is wasted, since it only tells me that a particular system's OS is Microsoft Windows.  Is there any way to create a customizable substitution table somewhere, so whenever that field says, for example, "Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Server Standard Edition (full installation), 64-bit" it instead displays something like "Server 2012 Std x64"?

• 1. Re: Can I shorten the OS Name in Inventory?
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

You can - assuming you have the Data Analytics module, normalisation is one of the things it does.

The "fun" part is that the Inventory scanner tries to be helpful in a "death by detail" approach, which is SOMETIMES needed (for SAM / Software Asset Management), while for OTHER situations, you just need to know "How many Windows 2012 installs - irrespective of edition / bitness - do I have?".

The DA normalisation module allows you to modify your inventory based on your ELA's / licensing here quite a bit.

Is Data Analytics something you have licensed? If so, the normalisation stuff can be found here... (and OS name normalisation is one of the default ones available):

<If it's NOT something you have, yet you want to play with it, contact your sales rep -- a temporary / trial license is usually easy enough to sort out >

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can I shorten the OS Name in Inventory?
            bdwest Apprentice

Unfortunately, no, we don't.  I don't anticipate corporate shelling out any more money, either.  Thanks for letting me know.

• 3. Re: Can I shorten the OS Name in Inventory?
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Depending on what you're after, you COULD try using SLM (Software License Monitoring) & normalise a "Windows 2012" group there.

Yes, it won't be part of Inventory, but it IS something that you can then use the reports on?

Would that be an acceptable thing perhaps?