4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2018 2:53 PM by Darren.Bradshaw

Knowledge Management - Advice

AM06160 Apprentice

Hello,

We have been asked to set up a knowledge base, first of all for analysts and eventually end users.  I was wondering if anyone here could offer some advice on how you implemented Knowledge Management before we start planning/testing (or perhaps be willing to provide an example of your own).

My main thoughts are:

- how are your analysts finding their information?  background search, search field, via a query or a knowledge management landing page?

- will there be a performance impact having background search enabled? 

- after being implemented did this meet their expectations? i.e. did this improve efficiency in finding the required information than when they searched via other internal sources such as SharePoint, Filestores or company website?

Any other words of wisdom before we embark upon our Knowledge Management journey welcome

Thanks in advance,

A.

• 1. Re: Knowledge Management - Advice
          Kayla.Culpepper SupportEmployee

Hello!

Thanks for posting to the Ivanti Community.

Sorry that it seems no one has the answer to be able to assist you on this yet.  Did you manage to get any further information on this? Please share anything you deem useful and the community may be able to offer some help.

If not then please do consider the other ways to engage with us to get assistance:

https://community.ivanti.com/community/contact-support

Kayla Culpepper
          Customer Service Coordinator
          Ivanti

• 2. Re: Knowledge Management - Advice
            AM06160 Apprentice

Hi Kayla,

Thank you for your post.  Unfortunately, I've had no offers from anyone on sharing how they use knowledge management in their organisations.

It would have been nice to have heard how other people tackled this before planning our own.  I don't think we need to contact support in this case but thanks for the offer.

Thanks,

Angela

• 3. Re: Knowledge Management - Advice
              Jamie Cannon ITSMMVPGroup

I can help you with this if you want to try to jump on a call.

I've set up knowledge for several large customers successfully.

So to answer you questions:

- how are your analysts finding their information?  background search, search field, via a query or a knowledge management landing page?

There are some customers who's Analysts use a background search on the ticket itself based on keywords.  That however and get a little busy so they typically utilize the search box at the top (Web Desk) or a knowledge gadget inside Workspaces.  There are many different ways to set this up.

I honestly have not seen any.  It's pretty quick.

- after being implemented did this meet their expectations? i.e. did this improve efficiency in finding the required information than when they searched via other internal sources such as SharePoint, Filestores or company website?

The customers I've seen use it yes.  They continue to add to the KB and find it useful, especially for new employees.

Sorry for the delay in getting you some type of response.  Hopefully this helps.

Jamie

• 4. Re: Knowledge Management - Advice
                Darren.Bradshaw Expert

Following on from Jamie's reply.

• We have not rolled this out to analyst as such, but we use the search field rather than the background search (we did this have switched on when we used console but there were performance issues, but this was back on 7.3). 

The other thing to bear in mind is, what is knowledge searching, is it just articles / documents, or processes / resolutions you may get more results than you want / need.

We are using this for End Users, they can either use the search box on Self Service Portal or via a query we have were they can also browse the knowledge articles.  We are still in the earlier stages and we are finding that people are using it and are referring colleagues to use it to!

• We did have performance issues when we used console back we were using 7.3, we don't use console anymore, and not turned the background back on.

• You could use calculated attribute which could the be a link to search google or any search engine.

Hope this is helpful.