4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2009 10:39 AM by Mach6

Setting Up a LANDesk Test Environment

Apprentice

I really need to set this up once and for all, i have been talking about it but I am not prepared to install LANDesk SP3 on our live core without testing it elsewhere first after the problems we had with SP2.

As well as LANDesk patches I will use this for security patches and testing software deployment.

As far as the clients are concerned, i have no issues there.  We will either use MS Virtual server or VMware machines that i can rollback after testing.

The core is where i need advice:

I will use Windows Server 2003, and i hope to use SQL Server 2005 Express - does this take much configuration to get it working with LANDesk?

Also, how do i go about activating the additional core? - We will be taking into account the additional test machines in our overall number of licenses (unless there is provision/leeway from LD to allow for testing?).

Is there anything else i should be aware of?

Perhaps this could be written up in a Best Practice document (by someone who knows this subject better than i).

• 1. Re: Setting Up a LANDesk Test Environment
          Employee

SQL Server 2005 Express will take no configuration.  The LANDesk install will both install and configure SQL Express for you.  I think it prompts for an SA password to be created, and that's about it.

You activate the core the same way as activating your production core.  It's node count that matters, and you're already taking that into account.  Unfortunately there is no way to differentiate between a test machine and a production machine, so the node count will count towards your total.

There's really not much else to it.  You make a clean Server 2003 server, set it up as an application server, install the prerequisites (.NET 2.0, Web Service Enhancements 2 SP3, etc.), and run the setup.  Don't worry about anything SQL related.  Easy as can be!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Setting Up a LANDesk Test Environment
            zman Master

Mike,

Any test environment is better than none at all, however, my suggestion is to make the test environment as close to production as possible.  This way you will have a better understanding of what will happen in production. I realize this may not be possible in every environment, but a lot of shops skimp on the labs/test environment.  Example, you have a small test environment that does not have the same horsepower as production, it will be very hard to determine how long SPs and upgrades take in production.  Is the upgrade really that slow because of the hardware or will it be that slow in production.  Also, make sure that all you settings, delivery methods, packages, SPs, patches, etc... are pretty much mirrored between prod and test.

Jack wrote a doc on setting up labs that may help out somewhat http://www.droppedpackets.org/labs/jack-coates-server-bkm.doc/view

• 3. Re: Setting Up a LANDesk Test Environment
              Apprentice

Hmmmm, that sounds all too easy to me!  But maybe thats why there is no documentation?

I will give it a shot once we get the windows licenses sorted.

One final question regarding Core activation - i work from home increasingly these days.  I want to setup a test environment on a differenet network (to avoid bandwidth limitations with my broadband connection).  Is there anything i should be aware of there?  Will it activate OK?  Is there total number of nodes recorded across all core servers listed anywhere (license activation screen?)?

• 4. Re: Setting Up a LANDesk Test Environment
                Employee

The core should activate just fine.  Having multiple cores in multiple locations does not require anything special as far as licensing is concerned.

As far as I know there is no comprehensive list of how many total nodes you have across all cores.  You would need to know the node count for each core and keep the total.  With 2 cores (1 production and 1 test) that shouldn't be too difficult.