4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 8:13 AM by Jason

Schedule Task Display window not appearing on Core

tfitzpatrick Apprentice

I am new to administering LANDesk, but in the past when a scheduled task was run a window would appear on the core server showing the status of the job.  I rebooted the server last night and now the window does not appear.  Is there a service that needs to be started or an option within the console on the core server that may have been selected?

• 1. Re: Schedule Task Display window not appearing on Core
          Jason SupportEmployee

/Tim,

I am assuming you are talking about the custjob window appearing. This window will only appear if you are logged in as session 0 on the core server. If you are using RDP to access the core server you need to launch the MSTSC.exe with the /console or /admin switch depending on what OS you are on.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947723/

Note:

Only custjob tasks will show the popup window. Other scheduled task do not use custjob and will there for not pop a window on the core, I.e Software dist task with delivery methods.

• 2. Re: Schedule Task Display window not appearing on Core
            tfitzpatrick Apprentice

Jason,

I've been using mstsc /console but I tried mstsc /admin and the custjob window is now popping up when i run a custom job. Do you know why /console would stop doing that?  If not /admin is working.

Thanks,

Tim

• 3. Re: Schedule Task Display window not appearing on Core
              SupportEmployee

Note:

Only custjob tasks will show the popup window. Other scheduled task do not use custjob and will there for not pop a window on the core, I.e Software dist task with delivery methods.

Just to clarify on what Jason is saying here. Pretty much only scripts use CustJob. The window that pops up shows you the status of these jobs. If the job is deploying an exe, msi, etc. then they do not use CustJob and you will not see this CustJob window as those tasks are not using CustJob.

• 4. Re: Schedule Task Display window not appearing on Core
                Jason SupportEmployee

When Microsoft went to RDC version 6.1 they changed the switch to /admin so it would would with their newer platforms - vista, server 2008, xp sp3 etc.The newer version of RDC will either throw and error when you use the /console or as you exprienced simply ignore the switch.  However both switches  basically do the same thing letting you connect as session 0 - 2008 behave slight different- The /admin switch is suppose to backward compatible as well so it will work on older clients- however I have not personally tried this.

Jason