4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2009 10:37 AM by gashby

Policy Based SWD stop working!!

Apprentice

I have a LANDesk 8.8 SP3 system which is in the laster stages of final testing before client rollout.

The server as been functional for over 2months now and i have had no issues at all with SWD using polices.

But for some reason this function as stop completely. I can schedule packages and assigned clients. I start tasks, task goes into a pending state, with a result of "Policy as been made available" but no packages are deployed. the only way i can force thsi si to open the portal on the client. But has i have set it to use a policy this should not be required.

Can landesk offer any advice how i can review this process to identify the under laying cause to the problem. t going to impact on the rollout of the solution if i cannot resolve this issue soon.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Policy Based SWD stop working!!
          SupportEmployee

It sounds like the components for the policy are working both on the core and on the client. When you open the deployment portal it makes a call to policy.sync.exe which will contact the core and request policies. Local Scheduler is responsible for calling polciy.sync.exe on the client. By default this occurs once per day, but can be configured to occur more or less frequently based on company needs. To see if local scheduler is running and if its calling policy.sync.exe you can check your localsch.log. You should see some entries like this:

Sun, 07 Jun 2009 09:41:56 Starting process: C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDCLient\policy.sync.exe
          Sun, 07 Jun 2009 09:41:56 launched "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDCLient\policy.sync.exe "

If you are not seeing these then you need to look and see if something happened to the localsch tasks. You can see what tasks a machine has by looking in the inventory or from the client machine open up a command window and typing:

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDclient\localsch.exe" /tasks | more

What you are looking for is something like this:

1: C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\policy.sync.exe
              handle    : 600
              start     : Thu Jun 25 07:54:13 2009
              frequency : 86400
              Filter 1  : [Auto delay] State=(Not ready) Min=(0) Max=(60)

NOTE: Frequency=86400 seconds (1day)

• 2. Re: Policy Based SWD stop working!!
            Employee

If you have made a job a required policy than it will install as soon as policy.sync runs on the system.  The interval is configured in the agent under the software distribution section.  I would check the machine to make sure that the local scheduler is still kicking off policy.sync on an interval.

This can be done by running the following from the ldclient dir from a command prompt:

localsch.exe \tasks |more

look for a task that is kicking off policy.sysn.exe

• 3. Re: Policy Based SWD stop working!!
              Apprentice

Hi There I reinstalled agents and all works fine now. The issues i have is that the task in the tasks window stays in pending even when the software as installed correctly.

I have test other activities and the statsu is working fine its just of software distribution.

Any ideas.

• 4. Re: Policy Based SWD stop working!!
                SupportEmployee

Here is a community article that will help you troulbe shoot your policy status not updating.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2919