1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 10:35 AM by carend

Scan for registry key seems to add a different variable????

Apprentice

I've added a line to ldappl3.template to return the path of the My Documents location in Windows. This is because in most (i need to know exactly how many) of our devices we have redirected my documents to C:\My Documents from C:\%USERPROFILE%\My Documents.

This is the line i have added,

;My Documents Location
      KEY=HKCU, Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders, "Personal", Custom Data - Documents - Location

This is what is in the registry at this location on my PC,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders, Personal, %SystemDrive%\My Documents

This is what my LD inventory scan shows on my PC,

Custom Data, Documents, Location, %USERPROFILE%\My Documents

Any ideas why LD would change %SystemDrive% to %USERPROFILE%?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

• 1. Re: Scan for registry key seems to add a different variable????
          Master

Hi Steve,

It is important to point out the registry key locations we can pull data from. The inventory scanner is launched by the LocalSystem account user. The LocalSystem user account has access to all of the registry however if you were trying to gather data from HKEY_CURRENT_USER (HKCU) you would be pulling data that is for the LocalSystem user account and not the logged in user. This data would not be useable since the data that we would like to pull for would be the logged in user such as Jane Smith.

There are 3rd party work arounds to this issue. You are able to use tools at www.droppedpackets.org (not supported by LANDesk). Other users on this forum have created batch files and vbscripts to run at startup for the logged in user and copies and places the data into HKLM. Please keep this in mind for the type of data you wish to pull.

My suggestion would be to have a script that grabs the data you want and to place it into HKLM area of the registry.